ID help please

cdn_beaver

Sorry, but could somebody please help me to ID this starfish. Thanks for the help. Also, has anybody considered an ID section for the forums? Just an area to post pics of thimgs in there tanks they are unsure about. Thanks again.

rasnme

it might be a marble sea star Marble Sea Star
(Fromia sp.)
Quick Stats
Care Level: Moderate
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 3"
Color Form: Bright Red, Cream, Orange
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Ophidiasteridae
The Marble Sea Star, or Marble Starfish, is one of the more common of the Fromia species, its coloration making it one of the more striking of all the sea stars. Its central disc will have an orange to deep red color, while its arms have cream-colored spots with a red edging.
It is found over sandy substrates, on rocks, and sometimes climbing on anemones. It is constantly foraging for micro-organisms and detritus to eat, so the aquarium should have ample amounts of live rock. It generally lives alone, but if the aquarium is large enough to support more than one, it will tolerate others of its own species.
It is intolerant of copper-based medications and high levels of nitrate, and is very sensitive to changes in specific gravity, temperature, salinity and pH of the water, and oxygen levels. Avoid exposing the Marble Sea Star to air or sudden salinity changes, as this is detrimental to its health, often resulting in bacterial infections and necrosis of an arm, or possible death.
It is extremely difficult to breed in an aquarium, with no distinguishing characteristics to help differentiate it from its mate.
It is recommended to supplement its diet with small pieces of shrimp, mussel, or flaked food.

cdn_beaver

Thanks for the help. Hoe does one exactly feed a star fish? If the food is added to the tank, will it find it on its own and eat it, or are they hand fed.
Thanks again.

viper_930

That is one of the best hitch-hikers I have seen! Yes, it is indeed a marble seastar. They need a lot of live rock because they eat the algea films like linkias do.

spline9

Yeah, you scored with that one. Even if you dont want it, you could sell it back. haha.
With feeding the starfish, I've seen people just get a piece of food, hold it next to an arm, and when the starfish notices it... it will grab it. Watch your fingers. They are fast and bite hard. Well... ok, so they dont move fast. And they probably dont bite people. But they'll shoot lasers at your eyes! Wear goggles. :eek:

viper_930

Originally posted by spline9
With feeding the starfish, I've seen people just get a piece of food, hold it next to an arm, and when the starfish notices it... it will grab it.

Not all stars eat in this way. This marble star won't, it only eats the bacterial algea films off the rocks. So you'll need a lot of LR, 100+ lbs recommended for long term keeping.

cdn_beaver

With the size of my tank, 100lbs of live rock will pretty much be impossible. Will they eat dried sea weed? Thanks again.