ID Please

popnfrresh

I was wondering what they were and yes i have them in my reef also. They are amazing. Fast, dont crush anything and always hungry. If it was up to me i would buy them over the turbos / other snail combos. I had 2 a month before and now i have 4 large ones and another 1-2 small ones. Prolly cant see them all at once but i have seen at least 6 of them. Does anyone know how they reproduce, and if they are as/more/less efficient then other snails, and care requirments. Thanks in advance

sdascher

I am not sure how they reproduce but I had 2 lg. pinkish ones to start with and the LFS said that they were reef safe. Then when I purchased frag rock I had 2-3 more so I put them in another tank. Now ... 4 months later, I must have 50 in each tank pluse a few in the nano.
I was curious to see where this goes, I have already pushed some off on my son .....

bang guy

Originally Posted by popnfrresh
Does anyone know how they reproduce, and if they are as/more/less efficient then other snails, and care requirments. Thanks in advance

They are closely related to Astreae Snails. They are broadcast spawners. When a female has enough energy stored to release eggs she will pump them into the water column. Males will be able to sence the release and begin releasing sperm. This often causes more females to join in and then more males.
The eggs hatch quickly and produce a non-feeding larvae that settles in a day or so. If you don't have mechanical filtration then you'll see lots of them after a few weeks.
They consume Diatoms. They are a high energy, nocturnal snail that requires a lot of food for their size. The population will be self regulating depending on food and predators. Nocturnal predators like Peppermint Shrimp are their primary limiting factor.

sdascher

Bang Guy ......
Please ... Please ....
I know that you have the experience & seeing so much ...... I have another post under Disease and Emergency ...... Advanced Reefers - Help! Tiny Nudi's is how it started but it continued into these eggs that I found in the flesh of my polyps .... could you take a quik look see and tell me if you have EVER seen anything like this before???
Thanks ......

sdascher

I think that this later problem with the polyps ... fungus or something - has been resolved.
Attention for my plea for help is no longer required. ( see remarks on the Disease Bd.)
Thanks anyways ....