ID please?

bigarn

The greenish bubble things? ... if so, it's bubble algae.
Nice pic .... gee, I wonder who it belongs to? ... lol

fishgeek01

What are we looking at, the bubbles, the small coral looking peice to the right of that, if the coral is what you are referring to i think it may be some form of a flower pot coral

chickadee

no, i know what bubble algae is... duh!!! lmao
it's the thingy that's dead center in the picture. A flower pot coral you say? I'll look into it. Thanks!!!

chickadee

ok it defiately is a flower pot coral. Now, i read that they're difficult to take care of, that they need a lot of lighting and that they grow rapidly. My question is: what should i do? should i leave it alone? My tank is a 55g, and the lighting is a 4x96 outer orbit PC. Should i detach it from the toadstool and place it somewhere else? i read that it's only for the experienced reefkeeper... i'm not so experienced. It also said that they need PERFECT water conditions, but i have like 10 nitrates, will that kill it? i need some help!

fishgeek01

most people have very little success with that type of coral in thier tank. even the most experienced hobbyist keep them for 6-8 months before they start to die. They are a specialized coral that has requirements that we are not really able to replicate in the home aquarium. Few people have reported having great success with them, so its not a 100% lose all situation. It looks to me from the picture that it is bleached out, but still opening. I would give it as much light as you can, a moderate flow, and feedings 3 times a week with cyclopeeze or frozen rotifers. You will have to supplement feed this species. Good luck and let me knwo if i can be of any more help

chickadee

well, it's kinda placed more toward the bottom of the tank. What should i do with it? Should i remove the piece of LR that he's on and move him to the top where he can get more intense lighting? I'll go out to the LFS right away to get cyclopeeae for him.

fishgeek01

Will it be easy to remove the rock without damaging the base of your toad stool coral? if so then yes i would try and remove the rock and put it about 3/4 of the way up in your tank. good luck and let me know if there is anything else i can help you with (p.s. if you can not take the rock off the base of your toad stool then move it up about halfway in your tank, to give it as much light as you can without stressing the toadstool to much)

chickadee

well, the piece of rock that the flower pot is on is just about the size of a peanut (in the shell), so i think just slicing it off of the toadstool with a razor blade shouldn't be a problem. I want to give the flower pot ample room so if it does happen to survive, it can grow (i read they grow rapidly if they're in the proper water conditions).

chickadee

oh, btw, i have 4x96 outer orbit PC lights on my 55g. I read they have high lighting requirements... do you think that's high enough?

fishgeek01

it may be just short of what it needs for lighting requirements, however if you are like the rest of us you will upgrade sometime so do the best you can for right now. I would slice it off, and stick it up as high as you can in the water, as close to the daylight pc's that you have. That should take care of it

kogle

Fishgeek, nice to see someone else from Columbus on here...
I've read these things eat oyster eggs as well

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by KOgle
Fishgeek, nice to see someone else from Columbus on here...
I've read these things eat oyster eggs as well
That is true, would you like to get together and do some trading or just chat about tanks and see each others set-ups sometime?
email me at jbarbier@jdbyrider.com

chickadee

flower pots eat oyster eggs? How do i get those??? i'll detach it tomorrow and put it at the very top of the tank. I just recently got these lights, and don't plan on upgrading any time soon. I don't want any corals that have high lighting requirements... it's a bit of a bummer that i came across one this way...

fishgeek01

you can get frozen oyster eggs, i think that DT's packages them. worst case scenario, take the flowerpot to your lfs and trade for something if they will.

fmelindy

just as another possible idea I had one of those grow off the base of my toadstool coral and once it got big enough, I relaized it was just a daughter colony. It looked just like that. Just a thought. If that thing doesn't have a hard skeleton, that's another possible explanation.