ID Please

jhill5

Something is growing on the bottom of one rock, it is very dark purple or black, it has just recently grew like little bubbles or wavey parts. These are the best pics I could get.
Any idea

farslayer

Well, looks like an aptasia in the bottom left corner, the feathery part. Not sure about the rest. What does it feel like?

jhill5

I am at work now, I took severall pics and those are the best onces I could get. I will try again later if no one has an idea.

rabid frog

I would say sponge also, but I have never seen a black sponge before.
i think you could have found the lockness monsters eggs

fishgeek01

Okay, finally some one with the same thing in their tank as mine, I have the same encrusting black spong, every so often it basically comes apart in these little balls that float around your tank for days, if they land in a shaded area that has decent waterflow but they can attach they will. I have been wondering for about 1.5 years if I was the only one with this type of sponge. I have never gotten a full ID but it is a sponge, mine does this about every 30 days or so. It will also be much smaller when it is done, but will grow back to its original size before you know it.

farslayer

Sponges are pretty cool. There are several threads on the board about the black ones, although I don't have any :( I wasn't sure due to the bubble-like features. I at first thought it was a ricordia from the side.

jhill5

I came home from work and the sponde balls are floating in the tank, just like someone mentioned.
Thanks for the responses.