ID Please?

J

jbk65

Have a bunch of these growing on a piece of LR in my tank.
They are less than 1" across at the base. The tentacles are basically clear with white tips at the end.
Any help would be appreciated.

ckayb01

I'm not sure but it could be Aptasia. If so this is an un welcomed guest and will need to be removed ASAP!
ck

S

sebae0

aptasia are mostly brown so i don't beleive it that but i really dont have an answer to what it is.

flamingkingofhe

what you have is a neucense anemone i cant rember the exact type i think that may be a glass anemone but you definatley want to kill it
the best way to kill it is to inject it with kalkwassser using a needle and to do this is all you do is go to a

[hr]
and get on of those things doctors give you shots in and then get some kalkwasser and mix it with as little watter as possible the less dilluted the better and then put it into the shot thing and inject it into the anemone

J

jbk65

After following up on the suggestions here, it looks like it is probably astrangia. Though can never be completely sure.
Don't think it is aptasia. It is definately clear and it seems all refences to aptasia refer to brown. Though I have never been able to find a picture of a glass anemone, though all refences seem to point it back to aptasia.
I guess this is why we all love reef tanks. Something new all the time.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'm inclined to leave it for a while and see what happens.

michael7979

Thought I saw on here once that those were some sort of dwarf anem. and they were harmless never got much bigger.

krishj39

I am positive that is an astrangia. If you need prove you can touch it gently, it is a hard coral so it has a hard skeleton, which no anenome would have. If you like, you can feed it just about anything when the tentacles are extended. Since they are non-photosynthetic they like getting spot fed. I have about a dozen of those through out my tank that came on my florida LR.

i have a buynch of those on my rocks, and im pretty positive they r star corals or something like that, they r prety cool though i have a bit of a colony going on

cathbad

Does anyone know of a source or sources describing (scientifically) the corallites of Phyllangia americana and Astrangia poculata? They are so close alike in photos it is difficult to differentiate. I've been unable to find anything other that photos and one obscure reference for Phyllangia; it was printed in a Dutch journal and the author was unable to help in obtaining a copy of the paper.

cathbad

I'm not making a challenge. I have been researching this for about two months and just thought I would ask.

clarkiiboi

I don't have any info. After 2 years on this board this is the first I heard of Astrangia. Gotta remember that one and do some searching. My first instinct was maybe a curely cue of some sort, but I was way off.