ID snail...

It's a whelk. The ones that I had reproduced fast. I never had problems, but I removed them anyway because they are said to be predators (for anything they can catch anyway).

ninicoco

Its a Euplica versicolor, i once had 5 now like 50
eggs everywhere on pumps, glass.

Verry reefsafe!

mushroomss

Be careful there are types of snails out there called conus snails.Their stings can be fatal.Dont go and pick up anyhting from your reef unless you research it first.The thing that scares me is it has the same shell patterns and type

renogaw

yes, but from the same website it tells you how to differentiate between whelks and nass. snails. since his picture has a white snout, i would think its a nass. snail.
does it bury itself in the sand?

bang guy

I agree with Euplica sp., a type of algae grazing columbellid. They are often sold as Strombus maculatus or Strombus grazers. They are not Strombus snails though.
If you look closely you should be able to see a small eye on each antenna.

mushroomss

thats funny the guy on that website said he had never seen stomatella snails reach plague porportions.well mine have lol

bang guy

Originally Posted by renogaw
yes, but from the same website it tells you how to differentiate between whelks and nass. snails. since his picture has a white snout, i would think its a nass. snail.
does it bury itself in the sand?
Nassarius Snails are actually a type of Whelk...
That's like trying to tell the difference between a Clownfish and a Percula.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Nassarius Snails are actually a type of Whelk...
That's like trying to tell the difference between a Clownfish and a Percula.
from what i can gather though, is nass. snails do not have the black shapes on their snouts, like most reef damaging whelks do. also, whelks don't generally bury themselves in the sand, but hunt the rocks and glass. where nass. snails generally live in the sand and will go up on the glass, but almost never on the rocks.
it is odd though, mark says the whelks keep growing, where as nass. snails don't grow very big. I have 15 tonga nass. snails which are huge (about 5/8" large) but the shells are rounder, and i had some whelks which were huge that the shells were long and oval. i got some nass. snails from this site and they look more like whelks--if they didn't bury themselves they would have been in the fuge.

bang guy

I'm not being informative enough I guess.
Whelks have an extensible proboscis that is tipped with a file-like radula and a breathing siphon.
The group of snails you are describing as Whelks are Buccinid Whelks. These are typically predatory carnivorous scavengers.
Nassarius Snails are Neogastropod Whelks and generally eat only carrion.

bang guy

Originally Posted by bigarn
Could you please elaborate?

Whelk is a common name for a large group of snails. Their behaviour and feeding varies a lot from specie to specie.