ID this shark

triggeraa

Can anyone id this shark for me? Labeled as a zebra but highly unlikely. I think its some sort of catshark species. Never seen anything like it.

ophiura

Looks like a banded bamboo to me. Run of the mill, IMO...not a zebra so far as I can tell.

triggeraa

That definately is not a banded bamboo. I am quite experience with sharks but this one has me stumped. I will post some clearer pics.

cartman101

Originally Posted by triggeraa
That definately is not a banded bamboo. I am quite experience with sharks but this one has me stumped. I will post some clearer pics.
no banded bamboo

ophiura

I'll take your word for it - what makes it not a bamboo shark? Not typical coloration for a banded or something that's true. I'm definitely interested in knowning the differences. Its definitely not a zebra...some other type of cat shark?

jim27

Definatly some kind of a bamboo shark, possibly an unusual color variant of a brownbanded bamboo. You're pretty lucky to have such a unique looking shark.

ophiura

It looks like a banded bamboo where the bands are interrupted. Definitely weird color...but I'm still looking for other differences that make it not a bamboo :notsure: Color can always be somewhat variable. I'm still wandering around looking at pics though.

triggeraa

The pictured shark is not one of a kind. My supplier has many of them. All look the same. I got a couple more coming next week. Thanks for the replies and opinions.

cartman101

Originally Posted by sharkguy22
The top pics look like a juve zebra shark. The other 2 loook like whitespotted bamboos.
yup

ophiura

It does not look like the zebra shark that I know...if there is something called a zebra bamboo then that is something I am not familiar with and can't find so far. But then there is that whole common name issue again.
http://www.elasmodiver.com/zebra%20shark.htm
I remember a similar thread to this awhile back but the pictures were lost in the upgrade of the site.

ophiura

Found a picture of a juvenile zebra shark on Fenner's site at wetwebmedia. The caudal fin in particular is extremely different.

mhoup

That looks like a baby Hemiscllium Ocellatum (Epaulette Shark) Western Pacific shark that is very harty, actually more like a Chiloscyllium Plagiosum (Whitespotted Bamboo Shark), it's a tough one, let s know what you find out.

ophiura

Personally, I don't think so. But it comes down to if you like the coloration specificallyand want to pay. I do think it is a bit unusual coloration but for me not worth extra. You can often buy bamboo sharks in eggs for lots less but then there is the whole question of it it will eat, etc. But definitely be sure you have a sizable tank. It may be small now but, IME, within a year they can put on pretty dramatic size.