Ideal Temp for Reef Tank

What's the ideal temperature for my 55 gal reef tank to be? I haven't bought any corals yet. I will be having some fish, too. I have a 250 watt heater and I love it . It so accurate. Please let me know before I get my first coral and/or anemone from our favorite LFS in Redondo Beach

nm reef

I don't believe there is a "ideal" temp....I've seen information from numerous hobbyists that run consistent temps from a low of 74 or so to a high of around 82....seldom much lower or higher. The important thing is stability...try to avoid fluctuations of more than +/- 4 degrees daily.
I maintain my temp from a low of about 78 to a high of about 81....I've found that lower than 74 or higher than 82 can be problematic.

robchuck

One more thing: warmer water holds less oxygen, so if you run a tank warm (82 or higher), make sure you have plenty of gas exchange occuring to keep oxygen in the water (a powerful skimmer and open tops are the two best ways to keep oxygen levels up).

sonewfish

My tank reads 78. it is generally pretty stable. What is the perfect temp for o2 or is that just a problem if you go above 82 degrees?

goinballde

I keep my tank stable at 82..i get about 1/2 degree of fluctuation over night with lights off..I have noticed that my corals seem more vivrant at 82 opposed to 78-79..Just my .02 cents..

papaeph

do some research and figure out where your specimens are comming from; look up that temp on that perticular reef...

dburr

I keep mine at 78-80.
What type of heater do you have? Keep it clean and in working order, that is kinda high wattage for your size tank, IMO. I have (2) 150 watt in about 160 gallons of water. I am alittle under power thou. Ya wouldn't want boiled fish.JK:eek:

thangbom

hoy sry about changin the subject in this trend a lil but.. if a tank was kept over 82 degrees... would water splasing around in a sump cuzz of overfloe be enough to keep it well oxigenated??... just wondering cuzz my water blast out like mad!!..
i keep my tank between 78-80

I have a 250 Watt heater, I visited my LFS yesterday and saw their display tank with 76.7 ...I just wanna make sure before I purchase my first coral