identify shell?

dan-in-den

Along with my Eva LR, I had about a dozen of these shells. As near as I can tell, they are some form of Cowrie.
I also had a dozen or so mussels, the same kind on the piers in Southern Calif. 3 have stayed alive so far and are wandering around. Are they bad? reef friendly?

T

thomas712

Please forgive me for interupting this thread. I am not a Kipass, though I am thought to be a smart *** occationally. I am certainly not a Bang Guy but I would follow him to The Marianas Trench if he lead the way.
I am a poor but humble aquariust making my way through trials and tribulation such as yourselves.
That said, and being no expert by any means, I would like to humbly submit for your approval that you have a cowrie shell from the family Cypraeidae.
IMHO
Thomas

T

thomas712

:D
Now watch Bang come around and prove me wrong. :(
and if he doesn't then he will say that I am underestimating myself again. :eek:
Thomas

cprdnick

No, I know what a Cowrie shell looks like, but I thought that they were brown with black spots, I guess I just didn't think about what they looked like when they are small and how many different kinds their might be.

dan-in-den

Thank you very much!
I found a website with lots of shell pictures and looked through them all and cowrie was the closest I could come. I didn't realize how many veriations of patterns there were. Of course, I couldn't find my patter.
Unfortunately, none of them survived so now I just have some pretty shells :(
Under the link you mentioned, I found the exact shell (annulus)!
Thank you once again.