If you were born between 1965 and 1977

jonthefishguy

If you were born between 1965 and 1977 (give or take a year or two) you will certainly enjoy this as much as I did.
WE ARE NOT THE LOST GENERATION
I am a child of the 70's & 80's. That is what I prefer to be called. The 90's can do without me. Grunge isn't here to stay, fashion is fickle and "Generation X" is a myth created by some over-40 writer trying to figure out why people wear flannel in the summer. When I got home from school, I played Atari 2600. I spent hours playing Pitfall or Combat or Breakout or Frogger. I never did beat Asteriods. Then I watched Scooby-Doo. Daphne was a goddess, and I thought Shaggy was smoking something synthetic in the back of the Mystery Machine.
I HATED SCRAPPY.
I would sleep over at friend's houses on the weekends. We played army with G I Joe figures, and I set up galatic wars between Autobots and Decepticons. We never beat Rubik's cube, unless you count taking off the stickers. I got up on Saturday mornings at 6am to watch bad Hanna-Barbera cartoons like "The Snorks", "Jabberjaw", "Captain Caveman", and "SpaceGhost". In between, I would watch SchoolHouse Rock (Conjunction junction, what's your function?) On Friday night, Daisy Duke was my future wife. Did your Dad turn from mild-mannered Bill Bixby into the "Incredible Hulk" when he got upset? At the movies, the Nerds got revenge on the Alpha Betas by teaming up with the Omega Mu's. I watched Indiana Jones save the Ark of the Covenant. I wondered what Yoda meant when he said, "No, there is another sky." Ronald Reagan was cool. Gorbachev was the guy who built a McDonalds in Moscow. My family took vacations to South Florida and collected Muppet Movie Glasses along the way (we had the whole set). My siblings and I fought in the back seat. At the hotel, we found creative uses for Connect Four pieces. I listened to John Cougar Mellencamp sing about Pink Houses and Jack & Diane. I was bewildered by Boy George. I was a "Wild Boy" for Duran Duran. MTV actually played music videos. Nickelodeon played "You Can't Do That On Television". HBO showed Mike Tyson pummel everybody except Robin Givens. I drank Dr Pepper. I'm a Pepper, you're a Pepper, wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too? Shasta was for losers. Tab was a laboratory accident. Capri Sun was a social statement. Orange Juice wasn't just for breakfast anymore. OJ Simpson sold Orange Juice, and Mean Joe Green sold Coke. Bacon had to move over for something leaner. My mom put a thousand Little Debbie snack cakes in my Charlie Brown Lunchbox and our world was the backyard and it was all you needed. With your pink portable tape player, Debbie Gibson sang back up to you. Everyone wanted a skirt like the material girl and a glove like Michael Jackson. Today, we are the ones who sing along with Bruce Springsteen and the Bangles perfectly and have no
idea why.
We recite lines from Ghostbusters and still look to the Goonies for a Great adventure. We flip through T V stations and stop at the A-Team and Knight Rider and Fame and laugh with the Cosby Show and Family Ties and Different Strokes. "What you talkin' bout Willis?" We hold strong affection for the Muppets and Gummy Bears and why did they take the Smurf's off the air? Afterschool Specials were about cigarettes and step-families. The Polka Dot Door was nothing like Barney. Aren't the Power Rangers just Voltron reincarnated? We are the ones who still read Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, the Bobbsey Twins, Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume. Friendship bracelets were ties you couldn't break and friendship pins went on shoes. Pegged jeans were in, and so were unit belts and layered socks and jean jackets and JAMS and charm necklaces and side pony tails. Rave was a girl's best friend; braces with colored rubberbands made you rad. The back door was always open and Mom served only the red kool-aid to The neighborhood kids. You never drank the New Coke. Entertainment was cheap and lasted for hours.

jonthefishguy

All you needed to be a princess was high heels and an apron. The Sit'n'spin always made you dizzy, but never made you stop. Pogoballs were dangerous weapons, and Chinese Jump ropes never failed to trip someone. In your Underoos you were Wonder Woman, Spider Man or R2D2. In your treehouse, you were king. In the 80's nothing was wrong. Did you know the president was shot? Did you see the Challenger explode or feed a homeless man? We forgot Vietnam and watched Tiananmen Square on CNN. We didn't start the fire, Billy Joel. In the 80's we redefined the American Dream, and those years defined us. We are the generation in between strife and facing strife and turning our backs.
The 80's may have made us idealistic, but it's that idealism that will push us and be passed to our children-the children of the 21st Century. We had neighborhoods where in the day we could play kick-the-can,ring-o-levio, "guns", and all of the things that made us "Grownup". There was always that one field that could be used for either baseball, football, or just a place to hang out. That was my field of dreams, Mr.Costner. At night we would play
flashlight tag, and we could trick-or-treat at night without the fear of being killed. We loved orange race tracks... that was until our mother realized she could smack us with them. We collected Cabbage Patch kids, and their ugly offspring Garbage Pail kids. We collected football & baseball cards, but it was because we wanted to be the first in the neighborhood the have the complete set. We played with He-Man and Skelator. Going to get a Happy Meal on Saturday with Mom or Dad was worth waiting the other six days of the week. Was Green Lantern the coolest superhero or Aquaman? "Wonder-twin powers activate!" This is what growing up in the 70's & 80's was all about! So if you are reading this and it ALL hits home then you do indeed
have a heritage or a generation. This is what makes us the most unique generation of all.

ophiura

YES I HATED SCRAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where did you find this? Man, it has memory after memory....

J

jrthomas40

i dont understand why you all hated scrappy...i liked him...i have some of those same memories and i was born in 82...lol

ophiura

I have no idea why I hated scrappy, I just did. Maybe it was the voice, or the really bad facial hair. But ugh....yuck yuck yuck
And yes, I took the stickers off the rubik's cube though also learned to take the whole think apart.

jmick

I thought Scrappy was the puppy who was some how related to Scooby and I did dislike him very much....he tried to hard!
Great list full of fond childhood memories.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Jmick
I thought Scrappy was the puppy who was some how related to Scooby and I did dislike him very much....he tried to hard!
thats what I thuoght that annoying little gray dog

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by Jmick
lol...thats cuz he was hard....everyone else was just scardy cats...lol

ophiura

You are right...OK...I hated scrappy and SHAGGY. That's it! SHAGGY!
I watched a fair amount of Josie and the Pussycats, and got up early to watch Davey and Goliath.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by Dlauber
I love Bruce Springsteen...man was I born in the wrong generation...
transformers, silver hawk, thundercats, gi joe, hanna barbara cartoons all my favorites

notsonoob

THUNDAR THE BARBARIAN...
But how can we forget the classics such as Robotech
Scrappy was annoying
AIRWOLF! CHiPS! VOYAGERS!
V...come on...it was cool when it was first out.
ALF? MORK and MINDY! Who is this nut Robin Williams?
LAND OF THE LOST! HOLLY...Yikes
Planet of the apes action set.

J

jrthomas40

i used to love mork and mindy and get smart....it would come on nick at nite every night...oh the good ol days

alix2.0

dude i hate scrappy too... he like ruined scooby doo for me! and yes i am also convinced shaggy parties it up in the mystery machine and that why him & scooby always had the munchies...

renogaw

Heh, anyone remember Clash of the Titans? Both voltrons?
remember parents actually sending their kids outside to burn off excess energy instead of plopping them infront of a video game and filling them full of ridalin?

m0nk

Originally Posted by renogaw
Heh, anyone remember Clash of the Titans? Both voltrons?
remember parents actually sending their kids outside to burn off excess energy instead of plopping them infront of a video game and filling them full of ridalin?
Yeah, those were definitely the days....haha. We were told to go run around the neighborhood, to get lost and have an adventure, to use our imagination. I am glad to have been a part of that generation.