if you were to buy a car today

nemolover

"or something"
If you look at what time I posted....I just was not all there yet.
55mpg omg!!! Thats sweet, why couldn't I be soo lucky.

carshark

Originally Posted by shawn100
Yeah, I like the z as well..very sexy! If I didn't have a little one I would have probably test drove one, I still needed the coupe since it had the backseat but it ended up being too small anyway and the wife hated leaning over the back to pull out our daughter all the time, hence the upgrade to the four door. G Sedan 6speed with 298hp will keep up with your z though, not bad for a grocery getter!

oh by all means, those sedans are sweet rides. I started the car business at Nissan. I sold nissan for a long time, then the Z came back....I ordered one of course...white, performance model, 6 speed 287 HP stock, 274 lbs ft. torque, it moves....I did a training at nissan's ride and drive in Atlanta. we did compare the G35 to the Z. I love the luxury of the G35, but the performance and handling of the Z won my heart. then we did drive the sedan also, amazing machine, the ride, the handling, very very nice car....

rberhow

Just to let you know, latest consumer report shows that hybrid's will not save you a penny over other "fuel efficient" cars. They may save you less at the pumps but your mechanic will love you. They are more prone to break downs and not any old mechanic can work on them and forget about being a shade tree mechanic with these. Not only that, but the cost of parts are so high that you might as well sell your right arm to try and pay for them. Its kind of like anything else, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Now, as for the next car, we are already saving our pennies for a Subaru WRX and to whoever has one, man are we jealous. Gonna take us a couple of years but we want to plunk down the cash for that baby and ride out in style without a payment for once. Of course, we gotta get the dodge truck paid off first. Wish us luck.

kart racer

rberhow,
We drove a WRX a couple of years ago before we bought something different. What a car. But we where looking for something for the wife and it wasnt really what she wanted but man did I.

snailheave

Originally Posted by rberhow
Just to let you know, latest consumer report shows that hybrid's will not save you a penny over other "fuel efficient" cars. They may save you less at the pumps but your mechanic will love you. They are more prone to break downs and not any old mechanic can work on them and forget about being a shade tree mechanic with these. Not only that, but the cost of parts are so high that you might as well sell your right arm to try and pay for them. Its kind of like anything else, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Now, as for the next car, we are already saving our pennies for a Subaru WRX and to whoever has one, man are we jealous. Gonna take us a couple of years but we want to plunk down the cash for that baby and ride out in style without a payment for once. Of course, we gotta get the dodge truck paid off first. Wish us luck.

where did you read that report? i would like to see it.
i've seen several reports that say that opposite.

shawn100

Originally Posted by rberhow

Not very smart to plunk down cash just so you don't have a payment, I mean if not having a payment is more important to you than wasting money by all means. Just thought I would share my opinion, please don't take it negatively, I get a little passionate about growing wealth and like to share information, and reading what you wanted to do raised my red flag! If you would be interested in hearing about ROI, Compound interest and time value of money then I'll carry on, if not, good luck on your experience! Also, you should think about the STI, not just the WRX.

denny80689

The wife had a WRX up till a few months ago when she traded it for a trail blazer
So my vote is for an STi or 3 series BMW. about the same price. Next summer I plan to be getting rid of the gas chugging Dodge ram and getting an STi myself

rberhow

Hey snailheave-I'll ask hubby where he dug it up and let you know. He's working lots of overtime so may be a couple of days but I will definitely check it out. Being a mechanic for as long as I've known him, he's always reading about this stuff and of course, the cost of parts and specialty in training to fix them interests him.
shawn100-I would love to hear you strategies on money. Hey, can always use advice to "build my wealth" since mine always seems to disappear before it can even build a small pile. I just hate the thought of a payment along with paying interest. We have been paying off the dodge truck for forever it seems and it kills me how much we have paid in interest.

Denny-why did she trade it off??? Was she having problems with it or was it a space issue? Just wondering if you had any difficulties with it?
OK, what other cars do you suggest and which ones make you love getting behind the wheel.

thangbom

yeah.. did u have any prob with the wrx?? i just wanna know.. never driven 1 before but i really really like it.. i wann know 1st hand probs if any.. and why did she trade it in?? cuzz of the suv fad??.... and good idea on trading the ram.. they suck.. if u want a truck.. get a silvarado.. they are soo nice..

dougai

as a matter of fact i did just buy a car today(how convienient) my first car

i bought a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse
black
66,000 miles
il get a pic on here tomorrow around 6

S

sinner's girl

Ugh, just had to buy a car after a stupid 16 year totaled my car. I had a 2001 Kia Rio. I know, Kia's have a bad name. But my car didn't give me much trouble. Sure the AC went out this summer, and there a few times it wouldn't start (but only for a short bit), but it was good. And paid for (we pay cash for cars and stuff). I wanted another rio, but I couldn't find one. Plus, I had read too much bad stuff about them, and consumer reports gave them x's and mostly bad marks.
We just got a 2001 Mazda 626. Bigger than I wanted, but it got good rating from consumer reports. We couldn't afford a Honda or a Toyota (which get the best ratings from consumer reports, expect the toyota truck). I wanted a Tracker or something like that (small SUV type), because, well, I'm short and I can't see in cars. But that didn't happen. And I'm glad. I really didn't want to borrow money for a car.
Though any American made car was out of the question. Sinner liked the Ford Focus Z5 I think. But it was American, and I really wasn't willing to borrow money for an American car, esp a ford (I've never heard anything good about a ford).

socal57che

As a BMW owner I would suggest staying away from them if you don't have a lot of money for maintenance....BMW, expensive... and built to stay that way...as quoted by Bimmer Magazine. Buy my Jeep--I need the cash!
ps the bimmer is worth the $$$, so fun to drive it should be illegal.

denny80689

No probs with the WRX at all. was the best car. And the wife didnt "baby" it either. She had me install a boost controller, TurboXS stage 1 computer, and modified the intake. Very quick car for the money. Now that we have our first baby on the way she felt she needed a larger car to accomodate the new arrival. I wasnt about to try to talk her out of it since their is no reasoning with a 6 month pregnant woman

jer4916

Originally Posted by socal57che
As a BMW owner I would suggest staying away from them if you don't have a lot of money for maintenance....BMW, expensive... and built to stay that way...as quoted by Bimmer Magazine. Buy my Jeep--I need the cash!
ps the bimmer is worth the $$$, so fun to drive it should be illegal.

i have 2 bmw's personally both run great and have never had any serious problems...and the small problems i was able to fix myself.... i dont think there that costly if you dont mind working on them from time to time....my 325i i think i've worked on it once....only thing i do is oil changes
~chris