Ill Anemone

bigjakec

Ok, Figured I'd try posting on here, I'm fairly new to this hobby for forgive me if I sound like a newb. I have a bubble tip anemone and appears to be sick. First my Ph & Nitrate levels are fine, According to my local store my light should be ok, could add a little more. Fish, inverts and my other long tent-anemone seem to be fine. I've looked online and in the books i have found nothing on this.
Anyways, My bubble tip seems to have shed in tentacles, this happened in Oct. and he hasn't grown any of them back. The mantle seems to be healthy, and fine. He moves around to stay in light and in the current of my tank, but i don't know what to do about the loss of his tentacles. Has this happened to anyone or has anyone heard of this at least. Will he grow his tentacles back is there anything I can do to help his do this?

spanko

I think you are going to need to gie more information to the anemone geeks here.
Lighting
Tank size
Filtration
Actual test parameters for Calc, Alk, Mag, Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate
How long has the tank been set up.
When was the anemone added.

dive girl

Also, do you supplement feed?
If your LFS says that your lighting "should be enough", I would bet that it probably isn't. Unfortunately a LFS that I went to before I found salt water forum said that my PCs would be fine for my anemone. I found this site shorly after and upgraded to MH with T5s. (Maybe my lights would have been fine but I didn't want to chance it.)

bigjakec

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2893117
I think you are going to need to gie more information to the anemone geeks here.
Lighting
Tank size
Filtration
Actual test parameters for Calc, Alk, Mag, Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate
How long has the tank been set up.
When was the anemone added.

I will post the test results next time i test to give most current info, tank is a 46 bow front, with an empire 400 filter, it was set up in april of 08, added the bubble and a long tenticle in aug. While I know is was a little soon to add anemones my friend GAVE them to me so it was hard to pass up.
I have read that bubbles need more lighting then other anemones so, I read the other posting and it makes sence. I'll bet i need better lighting.
Thanks for posting guys, BTW this is one of the best hobbies I've ever started. I've hours looking at the activity in this tank

meowzer

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/2893139
Also, do you supplement feed?
If your LFS says that your lighting "should be enough", I would bet that it probably isn't. Unfortunately a LFS that I went to before I found salt water forum said that my PCs would be fine for my anemone. I found this site shorly after and upgraded to MH with T5s. (Maybe my lights would have been fine but I didn't want to chance it.)
I agree...do NOT listen to your LFS.....they just want to sell you stuff...I was told my lighting was sufficient and all I had was 384watt pcs on a 225g tank

So glad I found this forum...now I have MH lights

lmecher

Actually bts's do require bright lighting, but can survive under lower lighting than any of the other host anemones. They are recomended as good for first time anemone owners because they are the most forgiving. It is not recomended that you keep 2 different species of anemone because they will release chemicals into the water and wage war on each other. In a tank your size I think this could be a problem, are you running activated charcoal? Without any further information I say get rid of one and increase the odds of keeping both alive.

bigjakec

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/2893169
Actually bts's do require bright lighting, but can survive under lower lighting than any of the other host anemones. They are recomended as good for first time anemone owners because they are the most forgiving. It is not recomended that you keep 2 different species of anemone because they will release chemicals into the water and wage war on each other. In a tank your size I think this could be a problem, are you running activated charcoal? Without any further information I say get rid of one and increase the odds of keeping both alive.
Thanks maybe i'll do that as well for the time being. In my readings i've not read that at all, can you recommend a good informative book i can pick up. I like to research as much as possible but most of the books have the same material, and forum like this one seem to be more relieable. The tank both anemoes came from was a 125 gal. so i'm sure thats it then the long tent is much bigger then the bubble was.
Now that i'm hooked i do want to upgrade to a bigger tank maybe then i'll do more then one species. My friends tank, like said before was a 125, and seemed to work very well. i was thinking of 90 gal do you think that would be suffeciant to support multi-species?

cdangel0

Somehting to consider. When an anemone is moving around it is because it is not happy where it is at and wants to find more suitable living arrangements (i.e. more or less flow, more light).
Anemones are very fickle about water quality which is why everyone advises against keeping one until a tank is at least 6 months old. The tank has then had a chance to mature.
Current test results as well as type of lighting will help. How much LR, how high is it stacked - if lighting is sub-par (no pun intended) an anemone will try to move higher in the tank to get closer to the light.
I'm not as convinced that multiple types of nems can't live together, but in a tank your size you really need to be cautious.
I've NEVER heard of an anemone shedding it's tenticle. Splitting due to stress yes, but never dropping tenticles unless it got stuck in a PH or rock slide.

bigjakec

Originally Posted by Cdangel0
http:///forum/post/2893368
I've NEVER heard of an anemone shedding it's tenticle. Splitting due to stress yes, but never dropping tenticles unless it got stuck in a PH or rock slide.
Perhapes sheding was a poor discription, it was more like then melted sorry. The process took about 10 days before the tentacles were completly gone. At first i was afraid he was dieing but, he never got the foul smell. also the mantle is a nice tan brown color and he never got clear in color. Other signs of sickness/death that i've read to watch out for.

bigjakec

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2893399
What lighting do you have? I see you keep mentioning it but is it pc, t-5's, mh what is it? How many watts?
I'll have to double check the wattage tonight when i'm home, but it's a single 36" 50/50 high intensity bulb. LFS said that all i would need with my tank being so small anything more and "it would fry them". Just doesn't seem right considering everything i've read and all but they're the pros right?!?

bigjakec

Originally Posted by FraggleRock
http:///forum/post/2893590
by missing tentacles, I assume you mean they are really short.
Starvation. He is starving to death.
No, by missing i truely mean missing as in nothing there. I thought starvation as well but, the mantle is looks completely healthy looking. The mantle is tan in color not clear and it hasn't "melted" I have no oder at all. He moved to the back of my reef wall in front of one of the bulk heads i have and has been there since. The top of the mantle is sticky as it should be as well.