Im adding this??

joshr

Im adding Iodine, liquid calcium, algaeup t(hing that makes purple on the rock so its safe for corals), essential elements.
There all made by Kent Marine except for the algaeup thing
This is ok right??

55galgill

Just make sure that your testing for everything your adding. You dont want chemical precipitation taking place because you added to much calcium. And i think you mean Purpleup insted of Algaeup.

notafishexpert

You may want to consider changing to Seachem products. They are ionicaly balanced. It is very hard to overdose with their products.

bang guy

Originally Posted by NOTAFISHEXPERT
http:///forum/post/2601285
You may want to consider changing to Seachem products. They are ionicaly balanced. It is very hard to overdose with their products.
Does their advertising actually say this? If so they just lost points with me. I consider them high on quality but if they actually say this then I need to lower them a peg or two on my list.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Joshr
http:///forum/post/2601270
Im adding Iodine, liquid calcium, algaeup t(hing that makes purple on the rock so its safe for corals), essential elements.
There all made by Kent Marine except for the algaeup thing
This is ok right??

There is no reason to dose Iodine.
As stated earlier, don't dose anything unless you are testing for it and you know you are low in that element. Blindly dosing Iodine, Calcium, and "Buffer" is THE most common cause for water problems.

alix2.0

it worries me that your adding 2 calcium products. buy your own tests and learn how to use them. LFS tests really shouldnt be trusted. your likely to nuke your tank.

N

nemo_66

buy a fish from your LFS. once it dies, take it back before the guarentee is over. they'll test your water for you to see if they'll refund it for you. if your conditions are good and they refund your money, you'll know they are trustworthy and test your water for real, and not just making things up to sell you stuff.
the number one mistake for new hobbyists are that they listen to their LFS. i had a friend who got into the hobby, set up a tank, and added a brain coral all in one day under normal flourecent lights, just because the LFS told him too.
so be careful out there.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Nemo_66
http:///forum/post/2601349
buy a fish from your LFS. once it dies, take it back before the guarentee is over. they'll test your water for you to see if they'll refund it for you. if your conditions are good and they refund your money, you'll know they are trustworthy and test your water for real, and not just making things up to sell you stuff.
You want him to torture a fish just to get a water test? That's pretty cold.

A

augustwest

some softies benifit iodine, xenia for example. becareful, it is really easy to overdose with it. i think overdoseing leads to an algea bloom. seachem reef plus usually has enough iodine and other trace elements in it to do the job.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by Nemo_66
http:///forum/post/2601349
I would not recommend that. At all.
My recommendation: save the money from dosing products and buy a good testing kit yourself.
But AT LEAST be sure you're actually taking your water in to get it tested frequently (and be SURE they test for calcium). If you're truly concerned they are somehow rigging something, don't let just one worker test your water every time- it's much cheaper and more humane than buying and killing a fish- but I couldn't see this being necessary.
I was using PurpleUp for a few weeks, but discontinued dosing because I really could not find out exactly what was going into my tank.
Just my .02