Im back and have a sump idea

daredevil

Wow its been a long time since I've been on this site. I don't know if any of you remember me, but I was on here about 2 or 3 years ago. I had a 29 gallon reef, but then Hurricane Rita took it all away. Insurance didn't cover the $650 loss, and since im just 14 years old (15 in two weeks), there was no way for me to get it back up. I know I wasn't the only one that lost money and there are many other people that lost a lot more money than me. But now I'm gettin some money, pulling out my tank and everything else from the garage and getting back into it, and I need you people to help me. This time I'm going to do it right and have a sump.
I went to my LFS and for $250 I will have the sump with everything, but thats a bit steep for me. I was going to to use the spare 10 gallon I have for it. The LFS was saying to use my 10 gal for a hospital tank, but i need to save my money. The LFS's sump was 10 gallons, came with all the pvc, a micro bag, 2 drilled holes in my tank (in my 29 gallon), a space made with acrylic for a refugium, bubble baffles at the end with a black filter plastic sponge looking thing (sorry i dont know what to call it) and the return pump which can either be a Rio or Magnum. Is that a good deal or should I just buy some glass at a glass shop fit for the 10 gallon, silicone it myself, and get the glass shop to drill the two holes for me. I just want to save the most money possible, as anyone else would.
Thanks alot,
Anthony

tacoma38

Saving money doesnt work in this hobby.And that dont sound to good idea to me.Just slow down a bit.And do it right or it will only cost u again.

daredevil

Yeah I was thinking that too. Thanks I just wanted to have one more person's opinion before I do anything. One more question, what silicon should I use thats safe for the aquarium?

daredevil

cool. Thanks alot sign guy. And sorry to keep you here, but this is my last question (on this topic at least). For the lines going in and out of my tank should I just drill holes in opposite sides, use an overflow box and have both of the lines behind there, or something different? I just want to know the best thing to do and something to keep me covered when the power goes out. Thanks

daredevil

I gotcha the blue is the water flow, ok. So with the overflow, do not drill a hole and just use the overflow to have a place the pvc sucks/pumps the water to the tank?

sign guy

its an overflow box and the pic is a side view the small box sits in your tank the large box on the out side. the pic is small but if you look close you can see a pipe that comes out ove the small box through the top and goes into the top of the large box. water flows into the small box and pulled through the pipes(u tubes) into the large box that has holes in the bottom of it. you conect hoses to the holes and the water dumps into your sump

daredevil

oh ok. I see what it does, but would it work if you just sit pvc pipe in the water in the overflow box to come around the outside of the display to go to the sump?