Im back and have a sump idea

daredevil

Wow thats pretty cool. It cant be that hard to do, I'll just use my spare 10 gallon, thanks enash and welcome to the forums.

daredevil

Ok, i made this plan and I would show you, but I have it in a BMP file, and dont know how to change it, so ill just explain it.
Overflow box with pvc in it, siphon fed, to sump. The end of the pvc going into the sump will have a micro bag on it. There will be my heater, thermometer, and protein skimmer. Some baffles, then the fuge, more baffles and between the last two baffles, a black plastic sponge looking filter media (lol I dont know what to call it) with carbon pads on top. Then, the return pump with the pvc back into the overflow.
Overall, no holes drilled in the tank. I just wanna see if this is a good design, or if I need to change some things. Also, one of the main things for my fuge will be to help the pod population, but wouldnt they not be able to get into the display because of the plastic sponge filter? Should I just take it off all together? I just look at it as a little more filteration. And as for the micro bag, is that a good idea or will it just trap pods? thanks-Anthony

sign guy

what size sump were we talking about? thats alot of stuff. you could cut back on about 5 baffles if i read corectly. the copods will more than likely spend a good bit of time in the sponge due to the dark and all the tunnls

daredevil

its a 10 gallon, so itll be a bit cramped, but there is a possibility of a 20 high, but i think i could squeeze it in a 10. As for the copepods, do i just take out the sponge and shake it by the return pump or what? Thats one of my main concerns

sign guy

dude when do you sleep :notsure: no the pods will find there way through the sponge just fine. A 20 tall would still be cramped. you could geta 20 long though, there not that expensine and you have too plan for the chato th grow and tumble

sign guy

lookinto a overflow box around 400gph, cpr makes a good ofb
and a mag 5 will work good for a return pump

daredevil

well dang u just know all your stuff lol. Well thanks alot. ok CPR for overlfow, mag 5 return, and should i worry about the pods getting trapped in the micro bag? also will the siphon be strong enough in the pvc line into the sump for it to go out of the overflow and wrap around the tank? if that makes sense. thanks

sign guy

Originally Posted by daredevil
well dang u just know all your stuff lol. Well thanks alot. ok CPR for overlfow, mag 5 return, and should i worry about the pods getting trapped in the micro bag? also will the siphon be strong enough in the pvc line into the sump for it to go out of the overflow and wrap around the tank? if that makes sense. thanks
the pods will be after your micro bags so it wont be a problem and yes your pvc will be fine