I'm bored - breeding Flame Angels and Yellow Tangs

candycane

They also swim in an "arc" when swimming straight up during the breeding stage; which means that the direction may be able to be altered – since they don’t jettison straight up. One of those sets of LED lights that are wrapped in plastic, running about 2 inches under the water line should alter their direction. Tank just needs to be long and the LED lights just of course can't release any stray voltage. Also, there are only a few species that do this. Family Zebrasoma is one of them. There are a number of members of the surgeon family that form large aggregates. They are group spawners. The purple tangs are going to be harder then something that group spawns.
A few days ago I located a set of 3 shelves, each one about 18 feet long (one above the other) holding 6 45 gallon tanks each, that's 18 tanks each 45 gallons. They all have built in overflows that can PROBABLY easily be masked off with 400 micron screen or even a filter sock. With a wiper, where the motor is outside of the tanks and the thing basically acts like a windshield wiper, as long as it runs slow enough, shouldn't create too much turbulence. The rotifers are going in most likely on Saturday to start "cooking". Then two foot long airstones will get glued to each side of each 45 gallon tank at the bottom.
I guess that would be about it. The only thing I have to do is keep an eye out for eggs. Oh, and shut down the filtration outside of "wipers" during the time when they actually do spawn. The spawnings are supposed to usually occur around the new lunar cycle for some tangs and during the full moon for others. Right now it is kind of only about trial and error of when the spawnings will occur at exactly when each month. That should take, well a month, to figure out.
The angelfish are probably only going to take a dimmer switch on an outside lighting source that slowly drops the lighting over the course of about 45 minutes.

candycane

I am going to get around to it rather soon. I am wanting to move to the Southern seaboard to be closer to natural ocean water. I am hoping that happens within 2 months or so.

keri

I think you should breed comets, Calloplesiops altivelis
They are beautiful and aparantly hardy fish, you shouldn't have trouble moving them
Adult

captive bred juvi

candycane

Marine Bettas would be on the easier end probably. I just don't see a lot of them. When they pass a certain size they will eat nearly anything in their path that is related to a carnivore diet.

coral keeper

I got a list for ya!
Angelfish
Tangs
Anthias
Butterfly fish
Eels
Frog fish
Lion fish
Puffers
Foxface
Triggers
Maybe Wrasses
I haven't heard of anyone breeding any of the above...

dew2loud1

Tangs are nearly impossible to get to spawn in anything under six feet of depth, atlantis marine world doesn't even get full spawning ascents only mock runs.
Angels, good luck, they captive breed flames in hawaii but the methods are very hush hush. Without natural wild zooplankton it will be nearly impossible to breed some of these harder species.
I know because we actively try to breed difficult species.
Good luck though and I hope you have success.

snakeblitz33

Apparently, candycane also knows how and has bred and raised captive clams. I guess he needs to find something else that interests him. Good luck candycane!

kydizzle41

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2782175
I got a list for ya!
Angelfish
Tangs
Anthias
Butterfly fish
Eels
Frog fish
Lion fish
Puffers
Foxface
Triggers
Maybe Wrasses
I haven't heard of anyone breeding any of the above...
you can breed lionfish one of my friends has a 200 gal with 1 male and 5 females they are fuzzy dwarf lionfish. and every now and then they will breed and he will grow the babies out and sell them to the lfs.

I think you should try to breed frogfish they are very cool and i think it would be neat to see a tank full of hundreds of penny siezed fish walking around lol and they are reallly cool and they dont really need a huge tank a 20 or 30 would be big enough to holdfry if you could do it
but with watever you choose, GOOD LUCk

lol im tryin to breed banggais and dwarf seahorses , so im a begginer to the whole breeding saltwater

i found this about breeding frogfish if ur interested
Spawning and reproductive activity in frogfishes is fairly well documented and frequently observed. In fact, they appear to be one of the earliest species observed to reproduce in modern aquaria. Frogfishes are even commented upon in classical history by none other than Aristotle, 344 B.C.! Like so many other marine fishes, it is the rearing of their larvae that has been so elusive to aquarists. Oftentimes, these events in aquaria occur soon after the import of a gravid female. Unfortunately, fertilization of the eggs is external, and fruitless without a male of course! Dimorphism is not apparent in most species – the girls and boys generally look alike... to us humans at least. Reproductive females become quite swollen and egg-laden just prior to copulation (mere hours/days prior). Some frogfishes move to deeper waters to spawn, but overall they are regarded as relatively shallow water denizens of the reef. At least Histrio, the Sargassumfish, has been observed to spawn year around with no apparent season or reproductive cycle. Courtship occurs by day, although the spawning event itself may occur day or night. Males chase the gravid and clumsy females by "nudging" them along and above the seafloor just prior to a brisk dash by the pair to the surface for egg release and subsequent fertilization. Spawns are comprised of gelatinous rafts or ribbons that usually float. Both Antennarius and Histrio have been observed to spawn in aquariums. We have good reason to ultimately be hopeful of rearing frogfishes successfully in aquaria as the eggs are large and the planktonic stage for larvae in some can be fairly short (21 days, Thresher 1984), although the range in this family extends as far as 2 months or more. Although broadcast spawns are the rule in this group, some demersal strategies have been observed with the parental care of egg clusters upon the flanks of the adult frogfish. Its best to separate frogfishes in aquaria after a spawning event as males can become aggressive or belligerent. Frogfishes by nature are solitary animals.