I'm curing 10lbs of LR in a 5 gallon

I'm curing 10lbs of LR in a 5 gallon with a heater and one powerhead pushing 225gph the water got really murky. So I added my HOB filter from my main display. Am I taking the right steps?

dmanatee

The steps sound correct to me. But it may speed up the process if instead you purchase a plastic tub from a hardware store (I like the black industrial ones myself). Having more water does dilute the ammonia and "slows" the amount of water changes you have to do. I think with the current set up you will in fact have to do more water changes. This is just my opinion, but the old saying still holds, "dilution is the solution." That being said I am not the expert here and I hope the ones that are chime in for you.
Best of luck to you!!!!

The filter I placed on the tank is fit for a 30 gallon... It's the bio wheel model do you think this will help with the ammonia?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addickreefer http:///forum/thread/381724/i-m-curing-10lbs-of-lr-in-a-5-gallon#post_3326770
The filter I placed on the tank is fit for a 30 gallon... It's the bio wheel model do you think this will help with the ammonia?
It will halp a little but not significantly. As long as the waterflow is circulating throughout all the rocks there's already plenty of surface area. If the ammonia gets above 0.5ppm then I suggest changing half of the water. You may need to do this every day for a few days.

Alright thanks people.... I bought another heater and I'll be doing a 50% water change tonight.... I put my filter back on my main display will that affect my livestock in the main display?

Ok did a water change.... Ammonia was .5 it's now a little below .25 . I threw a 20$ penguin 100 I think I should be fine... I forgot to mention I dosed the tank with some "tech I" iodine one ml .... Good or bad idea .... When I started my first set up the coraline bleached, so I'm trying to prevent that from happening... Any tips? Thank again to all

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addickreefer http:///forum/thread/381724/i-m-curing-10lbs-of-lr-in-a-5-gallon#post_3327124
Ok did a water change.... Ammonia was .5 it's now a little below .25 . I threw a 20$ penguin 100 I think I should be fine... I forgot to mention I dosed the tank with some "tech I" iodine one ml .... Good or bad idea .... When I started my first set up the coraline bleached, so I'm trying to prevent that from happening... Any tips? Thank again to all
I never dosed Iodine. I see nothing wrong with trying to maintain NSW levels of Iodide & Iodate but the levels are so low you need a really really accurate testing kit because an overdose will be catastrophic. From my point of view it's not neccessary and a mistake will be harmful so I always chose not to dose it. If you are not testing Iodine then definately to not dose it.
Coralline bleaches when it's environment changes significantly. If it's healthy it will quickly recover.

It's now day four ammonia read zero. I don't have a nitrite test kit so I'll have to rely on the nitrate. How long does that take to spike? Should I buy a nitrite test kit?