I'm entering the saltwater hobby need advice please

bang guy

My fish store was telling me that it is ok to mix occellaris with snowflake clowns is this true?
Most of the clownfish tanks are marked O.R.A. what does this mean?
I didn't see any regular occellaris just snowflakes and blacks. Are the regular ones not marketable or sellable or could they have sold out? I went in today to check out their pricing and the prices have gone up since the summer wonder why?

Snowflake Clownfish are Ocellaris sp.

pegasus

My fish store was telling me that it is ok to mix occellaris with snowflake clowns is this true?
Most of the clownfish tanks are marked O.R.A. what does this mean?
I didn't see any regular occellaris just snowflakes and blacks. Are the regular ones not marketable or sellable or could they have sold out? I went in today to check out their pricing and the prices have gone up since the summer wonder why?
ORA = Oceans, Reefs, and Aquariums. They are the largest breeder or marine fish, so their fish are trained to eat prepared food before being sold.. unlike wild-caught fish that might or might not eat prepared food. ORA is also the largest producer of cultured corals and invertebrates.

Supply and demand determines the price of farm raised fish...

One of my friends is closing his 125 salt and going back to fresh.
He is offering all of his live rock to me. However, I don't plan to set my salt tank up until November at the earliest.
Could I keep the live rock alive in a rubbermaid tub with his saltwater and an air pump?
You can keep the rocks live if you keep the water heated, circulated, and add a pinch of food daily to keep the beneficial bacteria alive. A light on a timer is also beneficial to any plant life on the rocks.

Ok so here's the deal.
I'm stuck trying to figure out tank size.
It's either going to be a 29 gallon or a 40 gallon breeder or a 55 gallon.
If I go with a 40 gallon breeder, could I do 2-3 occellaris clownfish (maybe 2 regulars and a snowflake), a yellow watchman goby, a lawnmower blenny, and either a flame angel or bicolor?

lmforbis

I'd go with the 40 breeder. I've had 55s in the past and they at hard because of the 12 inches front to back. You don't want get he rocks touching the glass and that is hard to do in a 55. The 40 breeder is 18 inches front to back which is east to do. You can definitely do a pair of clowns. I wouldn't do 3. I'd get really small ones. The yellow watchman wouldn't be a problem. The blenny might be an issue if it won't eat frozen food. I don't thinks dwarf angle will work in any of the options.

So how would this be for my 40 gallon breeder?
a pair of clownfish, a pair of firefish gobies, either a yellow watchman goby or a blue spotted watchman (slightly bigger, the yellows at the store are often less than an inch while the blues are almost usually 2-3''), and bandgi cardinals or should i leave the cardinals out?

lmforbis

The blue spot gobies get bigger in the end, both are nice fish. I have what I have thought is a yellow watchman but it could be a blue spot because it is in the big side. He wasn't labeled when I bought him. Tons of personality.
I'm not sure how aggressive two firefish will be toward each other. One would work for sure. They are jumpers though so you'll Need a cover of some sort but not a solid one or it will inhibit oxygen exchange in the tank.

Ok so I'll do 1 firefish.
So how would this be:
a pair of clownfish, 1 firefish, 1 watchman goby, a pistol shrimp, some inverts, 1 alage blenny, and 1 bangii cardinalfish ( was told by lfs I can only have 1 or 3 in a 40)

lmforbis

One fish a month except the clowns. Add them as a pair and get the smallest ones you can find. I assume you are getting oscelarous or percula clowns.