I'm Not Ordering Online Again

putster

I ordered some inverts for the first time from another place that sells live stock and was very disappointed. First, they only used one heat pack and the water in the bags was freezing cold. Secondly, they used as little water as possible, so that it was barely enough to cover the specimens. I'm acclimating right now, wish me luck. From now on I will buy at my LFS, which is cheaper anyway. Speaking of that, is it normal for a LFS be less expensive than online for livestock? Sorry for sounding so cranky:rolleyes:

D

daniel411

Very few lfs's can compete on a margins basis as online stores can. I'd question their distributors if they are cheaper on a regular basis.

beaslbob

By the time you pay shipping, on line is usually just as expensive. Guess on line is more like wholesale. Splitting order with someone can help.

kreach

I don't know where you ordered from, but perhaps next time you could try ordering from here? I have always been very satisfied with the livestock I have received from SWF.com.

zibnata

I had the same problem last time from a site I never had a problem with. The water was cold and had only 1 heat pack and a day AFTER the guarantee the $40 plate coral started to fall apart and died within a week .But the LFS around where I live are double and triple the online costs.

gypsie32

IMO lfs are more expensive, but I do not mind paying alittle more because I like to see exactly what I am buying. I can also see how they handle all of their livestock.

I would never order anything online after october . . . but then again I am in MI . . . yeah . . . its 7 degrees here today. :eek: :scared:

asbury030

man thats cold.well its atleast 70 where im at but also i live in florida.Man im glad im not there right now 007

Originally posted by Asbury030
man thats cold.well its atleast 70 where im at but also i live in florida.Man im glad im not there right now 007

Have you ever been i outside in weather where its so cold that your nose hairs freeze as you inhale and your ears burn? THATS what it feels like outside today!

125intx

The LFS here (notice the THE) tends to ---- every one. I found swf.com is the best place to buy live goods. The only things I have been disapointed with is the size of the crabs, less than 1/2"

T

thomas712

Originally posted by putster
I ordered some inverts for the first time from the place that sells live aquaria and was very disappointed. First, they only used one heat pack and the water in the bags was freezing cold.

Remember that the online LFS is only half the story. I have ordered several times from this site and I can tell you that SWF does a great job of packaging.
The other half of the job belongs to FedEX or UPS, and that is where the problem usually is.
My worst order experience from here had nothing to do with how SWF packages or does buisness. It was FedEx. I tracked my shipment from Florida to Tenn to DEtroit, then form some reason it went back to Tenn then back to Detroit. From Detroit to Freeland MI that is only a half hour away from me. From there on a truck around 7am and didn't get to my house until after 6pm. The bags were very cold, like pulling a can of your favorite drink from the refrigerator to your cheek cold. My order included shrimps and corals.
Trick is very slow acclimation, lights out. My shrimps and corals made it fine over a 6 hour acclimation process.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Originally posted by 007
Have you ever been i outside in weather where its so cold that your nose hairs freeze as you inhale and your ears burn? THATS what it feels like outside today!

Hey 007 you forgot the wind chill yesterday, what was it down to -9 or something like that? :notsure:

bdubbya

Lot's of complaints I've heard of ordering live specimens are the fact that #1, you can't choose exactly which ones are truly healthy or not. And #2, you may end up with a fish or invert. with totally different coloration patterns you may be expecting. This could result in having something you paid for, but dosen't blow your socks off once you have it. Picking individualy from a reputable FS with people whom you trust is always a good investment, money aside.

kreach

Originally posted by elGUAPO
where exaclty is SWF.com located? anyone know?
-gabe

Florida, I believe...

clint_reno

I am beginning to see there are few absolutes in this hobby, with the exception of occassional frustration. With much luck, and exceptional patience, the dedicated can pull it off.
With all the work involved, I can see how poor service can turn one against online sales. On the other hand, I find it ironic that some begin to advocate purchasing from SWF right after putster had a bad experience. (Granted they do sponsor this forum.)
If this is truly an open forum, then we should be able to specifically commend/complain about other sites/stores by name. (As long as it remains civil.)
I am a strong believer in looking for good deals and good service. I also believe in spreading the wealth. LFS are great. Online purchases are great. Each source is only as good as the service behind it. It is just too bad we don't know where putster got his product. Oh, and I have never had a problem with FedEx.

elfdoctors

The orders I have received from SWF.com have been shipped out of Pompano Beach, Florida.
Their packing has been the best of the two internet companies I have ordered from. I have no problems ordering in the winter. My last order was shipped in 10 degree weather and the bags were still very warm. I am planning another order soon.
We got to -11 yesterday am. The wind was somewhat brutal but the real cold stuff hasn't really hit yet.

putster

Well, I acclimated my snails, peppermint shrimp and feather duster and they seem to be doing okay. I still think I will stick to buying locally from now on.

jlem

Last time I ordered I got a purple tang, yellow tang and a flame angel. the fish were good sizes and after shipping I payed $100.00. All the fish have lasted over 2 years. I would much rather buy online because the fish usually have been in alot fewer holding tanks than the ones you buy in the stores.