I'M PROTECTED....YAYYYYY

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy#post_3366745
Oh, hey...sorry, Meow. I just realized I gave you some bad advise on hooking up the gfci next to the 54g. You'll want the gfci to be the first outlet in-line and not the second. My bad!
LOL....quite allright....my husband knew what you were talking about.....
I was very disappointed this morning to find that I can not use these portable gfcis :(
I am going to look into the gfci breaker though...

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy/20#post_3366819
HEY is this the GFCI breaker??? and if I get this, I don't have to change the plug ins??

Yeah those looks like either a gfci or afci breakers. If you installed one then no you wouldn't need to replace the receptical behind the tank. You'll just want to verify which brand of electrical box you have in order to get a compatible breaker. If you check out your electrical panel there should be some paperwork stuck on there somewhere that should tell you who makes the box, like General Electric or Federal Pacific...etc. Or just try and match the brand of breakers that is already in there.
Edit: Stay away from federal pacific stab lok breakers. They are notorious for failure. Look for a star lok.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy#post_3366745
Oh, hey...sorry, Meow. I just realized I gave you some bad advise on hooking up the gfci next to the 54g. You'll want the gfci to be the first outlet in-line and not the second. My bad!
I saw that and thought that it was backwards. The GFCIs are the first outlets in the string on the new grooming van.
Also, I dont thing that the breakers will reset themselves if they trip either. I think your still in the same boat. Why not simulate a power loss while your home to see what exactly goes on.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy/20#post_3366858
I saw that and thought that it was backwards. The GFCIs are the first outlets in the string on the new grooming van.
Also, I dont thing that the breakers will reset themselves if they trip either. I think your still in the same boat. Why not simulate a power loss while your home to see what exactly goes on.
Yeah I was having a backwards kind of night lastnight I guess. GFCI's only protect down stream, not up. And no, there aren't any gfci's or afci's that I've ever heard of that will reset themselves. That would go against the point of kicking themselves off if there is a problem.

meowzer

OK...HERE comes my BIG issue then.....where I live we have frequent power flashes.......night....day.....day...night get the point
SO IN OTHER WORDS......GFCI really will not work for me....I will have to take a chance as things are I guess

monsinour

well, install the gfci breakers and then simulate a power outage by throwing the main breaker for the house. Flip it back and see if the gfci are still on. Those things cant be that expensive and if it doesnt work how you want them to, you could always return them.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy/20#post_3366903
well, install the gfci breakers and then simulate a power outage by throwing the main breaker for the house. Flip it back and see if the gfci are still on. Those things cant be that expensive and if it doesnt work how you want them to, you could always return them.
I think we are going to try one outlet....we already have them.....most places don't take electrical parts back..that I know of anywway.....I will price a breaker...BUT I don't have money to throw away either :(
we will do this outlet test Friday or Saturday
YOU KNOW WHAT.....we just checked teh outlets in the bathrooms....they are not gfci either....seems we have NO gfci in this house LOL...gotta love Oklahoma homes

meowzer

It is this...I have 3 of them...
5 standard outlets 3 adapter-spaced outlets 6 feet 14/3 cord with clip-on plug Lighted switch with 15-amp circuit breaker Built-in cord management

2quills

Ok, rehash time!
You said the 225g and the 28g were tripped off this morning. What about the other tanks? Was the equipment those tanks plugged into gfci's as well? And what is different with how you have things plugged in on those tanks compared to the two that were tripped? I'm kind of thinking that those fancy surge protectors/breakers strips and gfci cords might be playing a roll in this somehow.

meowzer

Everything else in this room are plugged into regular outlets....
I also have one of the shoplogic things under the 54G....and a power strip on the 10G and 29G.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy/20#post_3366930
Everything else in this room are plugged into regular outlets....
I also have one of the shoplogic things under the 54G....and a power strip on the 10G and 29G.
Right on...I'm just wondering if plain ol power strips would cause the same thing to happen. I have just a regular power strip plugged into a gfci on my 50g...we actually experienced powerflashes here yesterday as a matter of fact. It went off and came back on like 3 times in a row and everything fired back up on the tank just fine with no tripping. I dunno...was just reading something about how surge protectors could cause electrical interference or noise thus resulting in the gfci's to nuisance trip.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy/20#post_3366932
Right on...I'm just wondering if plain ol power strips would cause the same thing to happen. I have just a regular power strip plugged into a gfci on my 50g...we actually experienced powerflashes here yesterday as a matter of fact. It went off and came back on like 3 times in a row and everything fired back up on the tank just fine with no tripping. I dunno...was just reading something about how surge protectors could cause electrical interference or noise thus resulting in the gfci's to nuisance trip.
HMMM...I will experiment on that tomorrow.....I will hook up one of my "plain" power bars with the portable GFCI...turn off the power and see what happens
too late to mess with anything anymore tonight

chain

Lol most of the homes in Oklahoma are mobile.
Seriously though. Yea most homes in the state don't have any type of protector from power outages/surges due to the fact that we get them so frequently. If its not a ice storm in the winter its a tornado in the spring. I know a few people in the isolated parts of the state that still don't have plumbing or electric. In between you and talahina is pretty rough country.
When I was in high school the crazy guy that lived out in the woods behind our house got drunk and thought the transformer on the power pole was a squirrel. (same guy that got a deer confused with a cow). Out of electric for a good 10 days. TG the old man had generators.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain http:///forum/thread/384360/i-m-protected-yayyyyy/20#post_3366972
Lol most of the homes in Oklahoma are mobile.
Seriously though. Yea most homes in the state don't have any type of protector from power outages/surges due to the fact that we get them so frequently. If its not a ice storm in the winter its a tornado in the spring. I know a few people in the isolated parts of the state that still don't have plumbing or electric. In between you and talahina is pretty rough country.
When I was in high school the crazy guy that lived out in the woods behind our house got drunk and thought the transformer on the power pole was a squirrel. (same guy that got a deer confused with a cow). Out of electric for a good 10 days. TG the old man had generators.
How funny....and even funnier our RV has gfci breakers all over it. You know I come from a whole different waorld then hubby...he actually lived in a tent once when he was a kid

they took baths in the creek, and their father built their house....one room at a time and they lived in it as it was built...there were 6 kids

I came from NY where I lived in a 3 floor home, olympic size built in pool, baby grand pianos, formal dining room....YOU KNOW...typical middle class Italian NYers LOL....I could never imagine living without electricity or water....when we lost power back in the ice storm of 2000...for 8 days....I almost lost my mind.