I'm tired of letting my babies die

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/390952/im-tired-of-letting-my-babies-die#post_3465205
LOL...You may be waiting a very long time....
LOL perfect, need to finish my DT first, then my DIY adding reef tank to DT. Then I'll have space for the Horse tank, you'll probably have them raised and ready B4 I am. You probably wont be able to part with them. Then instead of being known as a cat lady, you will be known as the horse lady.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/390952/im-tired-of-letting-my-babies-die/20#post_3465311
LOL perfect, need to finish my DT first, then my DIY adding reef tank to DT. Then I'll have space for the Horse tank, you'll probably have them raised and ready B4 I am. You probably wont be able to part with them. Then instead of being known as a cat lady, you will be known as the horse lady.

LOL...I don't have any cats...German shepherd dogs. LOL...I'm known as the fat lady.

novahobbies

Work has been kicking my rear end this week. Basically 8am-10pm since Tuesday with a little time here and there to eat. Looking forward to this weekend like you couldn't believe.
Gotta love salary.....

(This is very unusual, though, normally work hours are great.)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/390952/im-tired-of-letting-my-babies-die/20#post_3465499
Work has been kicking my rear end this week. Basically 8am-10pm since Tuesday with a little time here and there to eat. Looking forward to this weekend like you couldn't believe.
Gotta love salary.....

(This is very unusual, though, normally work hours are great.)
LOL...When I worked I loved the weekend. Now that I am home all the time, I like the week days best. Everything closes up on Sunday early and on the weekend the stores are jammed, and traffic is heavier....so going shopping (my favorite pastime) isn't relaxing anymore.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/390952/im-tired-of-letting-my-babies-die#post_3464860
You need a kreisel tank so to keep the fish from being crushed in the foam of the stand pipe.
Kriesels are pretty old school...Dan is probably the most successful SH breeder out there, and his design takes into account a mild Kriesel-type flow. His design works much better than our "real" Kriesel tank (we had one built), and taxes the fry less, so they have a better growth rate. Plus, it's very simple to make and use.
Flower, I'd stick with Dan's recommendation. The man truly knows his stuff when it comes to raising SH fry, and his design comes from years of experience.
In fact, I even know "Mark V" very well, who no longer raises SH, BTW, so that's an old design.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/390952/im-tired-of-letting-my-babies-die/20#post_3466100
Kriesels are pretty old school...Dan is probably the most successful SH breeder out there, and his design takes into account a mild Kriesel-type flow. His design works much better than our "real" Kriesel tank (we had one built), and taxes the fry less, so they have a better growth rate. Plus, it's very simple to make and use.
Flower, I'd stick with Dan's recommendation. The man truly knows his stuff when it comes to raising SH fry, and his design comes from years of experience.
In fact, I even know "Mark V" very well, who no longer raises SH, BTW, so that's an old design.
YAYYY...that looks like a tank I can manage..Thanks so much. One last question...will that design work for pelagic? I'm still a little confused on what the difference is on benthic...I know one hitches but which is which, and are the fry tanks the same? Both species I plan for are Pelagic so what fry tank I set up must be for that one. I know only one type of fry no mixing.

novahobbies

You really only need a kreissel or pseudokreissel system for pelagic (non-hitching) species.....benthic (hitching) species like Erectus don't have as much chance of gulping air and dying as pelagics like your kudas might. And yes....it looks like there is enough of a barrier flow on that to keep them from easily getting to the surface.
So you're gonna try raising a difficult pelagic horse from fry AND set up a Pots tank??? You are one brave girl!!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/390952/im-tired-of-letting-my-babies-die/20#post_3466136
You really only need a kreissel or pseudokreissel system for pelagic (non-hitching) species.....benthic (hitching) species like Erectus don't have as much chance of gulping air and dying as pelagics like your kudas might. And yes....it looks like there is enough of a barrier flow on that to keep them from easily getting to the surface.
So you're gonna try raising a difficult pelagic horse from fry AND set up a Pots tank??? You are one brave girl!!
Well...Money is an issue, so I am in the middle of a pots tank. LOL...I guess I felt that would be easier than baby horses and started that huge project first. I won't be messing with the fry for a bit... I really don't feel confident yet on keeping fry alive yet...I'm preparing and gathering intel, so far it looks like keeping enough of the right kind food for them is the hardest part....once the tank is set up with that filter it will make it easier than the other tanks I have looked at. So right now...just the 90g getting set up for the pots, and continue doing my research on raising fry.

flower

UPDATE: I can't believe it...my mother wants me to try and raise seahorses. If Mother says go for it, all the guilt on money spent goes away....LOL
I told her about the expense and that I had looked into the workings for a fry tank, and the problems of trying to raise live food. She still wants me to go for it. So after I get the potbelly horses all settled and in the new home...I plan to return to this thread and continue the new adventures of trying to raise baby pots or Kuda horses. This should be very interesting. So...while my big tank is cycling I can continue do my research on raising fry.
First of the month I plan to order what I need to raise the live food and see how that goes...if can successfully do that, and keep the food going.... I can move on to building the fry tank designed by DanU in previous posts.
I will only work with one batch at a time. I don't have the room or resources to raise fry at different levels of development.
Both of these horses tanks require a chiller...I assume I will need a chiller for the fry tank as well...nobody mentioned chillers on fry tanks...any comments on that?