Important Changes to the Live Selling Forum Effective Wednesday, October 29th

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
The Classified Forums of this website were introduced to allow our active members an opportunity to trade, swap or sell unused livestock and equipment. Over the past year, this area has become an area where it seems that “anything goes” despite our best efforts to monitor the area. We’ve seen online retailers on this site selling their inventory, we’ve had scammers from other sites trying to sell, we’ve had new members selling items daily with no participation in the general forums…and long time valued members banned because their ratio of participation to selling was too high. Our oversight of this area, especially since there often is money involved, lacked consistency…consequently, we have been looking at a technology solution for this area that would aid us in monitoring this area.
We are pleased to announce that effective Wednesday, October 29th, all Classified and Live Selling and Trading transactions will take place on a new site set up exclusively for Saltwaterfish.com Bulletin Board members: www.Saltwaterauctions.com. Here you will be able to buy, sell, auction, and swap items with a uniform template to make transactions easier and more secure.
Here’s how it will work. You must be a Saltwaterfish.com Bulletin Board member to participate and register. All members must register separately at the site to use this area. All transactions will use PayPal. Members may list up to 4 auctions within a 30 day period, each auction can contain a maximum of 10 items for sale. The listing of items is free. There are upcharges you can request at a nominal fee if you so desire for your listing. All sales will incur a 5% fee to www.saltwaterauctions.com . You will be able to set your own shipping rules, transaction rules, upload up to 3 pictures per auction…all free. We have removed the requirement that members must post 50 times to use this site, and with the security of a dedicated auction site, we feel many more members will choose to try this form of selling.
Feel free to take a look around the site. www.saltwaterauctions.com. You will need to register before you can buy or sell. Make sure you check your junk email folder if you do not receive your registration confirmation email.
Saltwaterfish.com supports aquaculture and encourages hobbyist’s efforts to advance the hobby. For the vast majority of members, four auctions per month is more than enough to suit their needs. For those whose livestock sales capacity exceed that level, we apologize that this site will no longer be available. We will, however, consider purchasing hobbyist’s stock if they wish to wholesale with us and have sufficient quantities of an item. Please contact us at purchasing@saltwaterfish.com if you are interested.
The Classified Forums will close on Wednesday, October 29th and www.saltwaterauctions.com will be the exclusive means of transactions on the message boards. I’m sure it is going to take a few weeks for us all to get used to the new system, but we know the vast majority of members will appreciate the increased security and ease of use this site will provide.
Welcome to www.Saltwaterauctions.com !

peef

After looking the site over.....AAANNDD placing the FIRST EVER BID!!!! I like it! Well done SWF. I hope it works well for everyone!
Only suggestion I could make is possibly allowing a few more pics than three....if someone does ten items per auction with only three pics that could be hard....but just MO...!!!!

howardj

There is going to be a 5% fee for all transactions that will go to Saltwaterauctions.com?
Also:
Both the 'Classifieds' AND 'Live Selling and Trading' will be completely deleted from the swf.com database starting wednesday?

clownfish11

this is down right stupid...im sorry this is just stupid and I hate it
also can we still use the live selling trading part of THIS forum or do we HAVE to use this BS?

coral keeper

I also think that you should be able to post 10 pictures because you can post 10 items. I also think that the picture has to be YOURS and not a picture that you took from a different site and just say 'it looks exactly the same'.

peef

Well of course everyone would like to have everything for free like it has been on here but there was alot of spammers getting on here and alot of businesses posing as regular members. I understand SWF's reasons for doing this and I do like the site and the setup but of course it would be better if it could stay the same....but....it can't and the best we can do as members is understand why.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by peef
http:///forum/post/2815392
Well of course everyone would like to have everything for free like it has been on here but there was alot of spammers getting on here and alot of businesses posing as regular members. I understand SWF's reasons for doing this and I do like the site and the setup but of course it would be better if it could stay the same....but....it can't and the best we can do as members is understand why.
+1!

Bad idea..... a lot of support is going to be lost. Does anybody want to start a bet pool on how long this lasts??? I'll call three weeks
I've never heard of a forum charging. A popular site that starts with an E and ends with a Bay doesn't even charge 5%. Kudos gentlemen!!!

unleashed

I think this is a good idea for many of the users not making a business out of selling aquarium related things..unfortunately
too many people make it a business to buy from members and resell for more profit. this may even things out a bit for the moderate buyers... good job SWF mods

steelgluer

The reason for doing this is simple $$$$$$$$. SWF.COM doesnt get any money when we trade/sell. Simply put there was no soup for them. Very nice site well done. I like it the site not the idea.
Also need to know when can I buy stock..

fcatch76

I don't mind it, since I came here the info has been invaluable to me. I purchased and now have sold two whooping bags of chaeto. I would gladly give the 5% to swf.com for their efforts and support. Think of it as giving back to the community.
Also, please keep in mind that PAYPAL does not guarantee anything live. This is their policy and they are strict with it. No warm fuzzy feeling that you are backed by them when buying live goods, make sure you are dealing with a good seller. Because in the end you will be left with nothing. Just an FYI

peef

Question for SWF here.....
Is there a way that members who have been constant, prooven and GREAT sellers/traders on here can get a good rep score on the site without having to start from zero? I for one have not bought from everyone that is a "valuable" seller/trader here but I know there are a TON that have worked hard to gain there rep so people know that they are great to deal with!

A

alexmir

i like it, i always thought they should do something like that, its like a toy store letting people sell toys in their parking lot......Good job guys, the site looks nice, i also like it because SWF.com has both parties paypal accounts if there ever arises a problem
I not sure how to do the trading on there though, but im sure i will figure it out soon.