In need of Algae

the_bandit

As Flower and Meowzer know, I put some Algae killer in my aquarium a couple weeks ago. It was suppose to kill the cyano problem Ive had but as usual, it didnt. Now my aquarium looks brand new. I dont have any algae growing at all. My LMB is starving. I need help. How can I introduce new, good algae into the aquarium? Do some water changes with tap water? Put Calurpa and/or macroalgae in the aquarium? He is barely eating the frozen food I give and doesn't eat the algae sheets I put out.
Please help ASAP

meowzer

I'm confused...The algae stuff didn't work, but your tank is like brand new? Did you do something else?
Anyway...What frozen foods are you feeding...My LMB loves mysis..have you tried soaking the foods in garlic extreme, and any other vitamins?
They also sell a frozen cube called...mega marine algae....
I can also send you some of my hair algae LOL.....

the_bandit

Well I dont mean brand new. I just mean it looks super clean and clear. No algae growing on the rocks or back of the tank. Ive done giant water changes to try and remove the chemical completely.
What can I do to introduce algae? Anything besides cyano and bubble algae are fine with me.
I know that if I dump the cube in, my LMB will probably eat but in doing that, I will further worsen my Cyano problem.
Ugh

meowzer

You won't make the cyano worse by feeding the LMB....just put a little in there...
you can leave the lights on longer...IDK...Not too many people ask HOW TO GET ALGAE...LOL

the_bandit

Haha. Its just a double edged sword, ya know?
If I leave the lights on longer, I help increase my cyano problem. If I overfeed to try and get the LMB to eat, I risk leaving alot of uneaten food which in turn, adds to my cyano problem.......
fml....

the_bandit

Ya, that was my plan for tonight. Ill try spot feeding him but he is very skeetish.
Do you think adding a piece of liverock with algae all over it would be the route to take?

meowzer

Originally Posted by The_Bandit
http:///forum/post/3127284
Ya, that was my plan for tonight. Ill try spot feeding him but he is very skeetish.
Do you think adding a piece of liverock with algae all over it would be the route to take?
If you have a piece available...what could it hurt

Just make sure it is ok algae...not some crazy ass invasive stuff

flower

Just logged on before going off to work...algae sheets will feed the LMB for now..the algae will restart growing on its own. Don't help it, LOL...the algae will return without any effort from you...time is all you need.

cranberry

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3127371
Just logged on before going off to work...algae sheets will feed the LMB for now..the algae will restart growing on its own. Don't help it, LOL...the algae will return without any effort from you...time is all you need.

But he's not eating the sheets flower.

the_bandit

Time isnt on my side, Flower. My LMB is starving basically. I guess Im just going to have to wait and try feeding him as much as possible.
Cross your fingers and fins

katsafados

If you dose with purple up, leave your lights on longer especially the blue ones you'll get an algae bloom pretty quick. It raises the phosphates in your water which algae needs to thrive and the blue light wavelength encourages algae growth.

katsafados

Or you can move him to another smaller tank for the time being and spot feed him so you can monitor him better. Maybe put that algae rock in their with him also.

the_bandit

That Purple Up will really work? Im going to have to try that. Do I need to do water changes more frequent when using that or no? In doing this, will it also increase my Cyano problem. Thats my biggest concern at the moment.
I used a product called AlgaeFix. It it supposedly ment to kill nuisance algaes like Cyano and Hair algae but all it did was kill off any algae at all and completely avoided the Cyano. Very stupid mistake on my part.

meowzer

Personally I wouldn't add anything to your tank....just keep up the maintenance for the cyano, continue to siphon and do water changes....if you have a piece of LR available with (good) algae on it..ok...get it, but you need to be a little patient here...
try the algae cube....get some cyano eating critters (LOL) like halloween hermits....what other cuc do you have in there???

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3127652
Personally I wouldn't add anything to your tank....
+1 no kidding.
The chemicals used to kill the algae is on and in everything in the tank for NOW. Thats why you do not want to go out and buy a nice piece of LR with coraline just yet, it will not help to add purple up....that stuff just raises your Alk. and Calcium.
OP...you have no choice but time, it isn't on your side, but algae is not going to hurry up for you. Your Blenny will not starve if you keep an algae sheet in the tank for him to feed on...every day, all day... Put 2 clips out or use a rubberband and attach 2 pieces of algae sheets to some rock on opposite sides of the tank.
When you notice algae growing again...then add the LR with coraline on it, but not until the enviroment can sustain algae again.

adurost

+1 on the algea sheets
I've never seen my LMB eating the mysis I feed to the other fish, but boy does he love the nori in a veggie clip I put in for the tang! He will perch on it and eat until his belly is loaded!! I'm hoping he doesn't get 'lazy' and stop cleaning the glass and rocks in mt tank.

the_bandit

Thank you everyone for your advice. I always appreciate it. I have more than enough clean up crew. And a bazillion Bristle Worms. I plan on keep algae sheets out everyone day where the LMB hangs out the most. Wish me luck

small triggers

the algae fix kills ALGAE, cyno is bacteria not algae. You need to cut down your lights and cut your feeding of the tank and increase you flow, that is what gets rid of cyano. Have you gone to you LFS and seen if they have any rocks with hair algae or any type on it and see of you can buy one, which will re-seed th algae in your tank to grow fast?