In wall shark tank

mantisman51

I just read up on the 2 sharks. The coral catshark has been recorded at a "whopping" 2.3'-that's 27" max. The brownbanded shark gets up to 1.4m-55". That's alot of animal for any home aquarium and hard to find a home for I would think. I'd definitely go with the catshark. Could you post some pictures when you get it up and running?

We haven't started putting it in the wall as I just got the scratch removal kit yesterday. Why I was worried about magnets is that don't sharks use magnetic fields like bats and sonar I could be wrong though.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2925258
The OP was not bashed at all. He may have taken comments wrong, but I read this whole thread. There was no bashing. I agree that the magnet should not be a problem at all.
There are mag floats designed for acrylic. Be sure to get that kind, so it doesn't get scratched. BTW, Welcome to the boards

I hate when people start answering questions the OP never asked, instead of answering the ones he did. No where in his original post did he ask if they would be too large for his tank. I consider that bashing.

ophiura

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2925599
I hate when people start answering questions the OP never asked, instead of answering the ones he did. No where in his original post did he ask if they would be too large for his tank. I consider that bashing.
I disagree personally... if someone is putting a tang in a 5g tank for example, then I will tell them its not the best plan, regardless of what they asked. Very often people don't realize additional info or caution is needed. It is not bashing to be given additional information or even opinion, regardless of what was asked. Tone should be considered in the posts, but it is not by default bashing.
Now the OP feels that he has an option for when it gets too large, which I hope is agreed to (as someone who worked at an LFS with big pond displays...don't assume the LFS will take it though). A trick is being honest enough to make the right judgement when that time comes.
I have worked with sharks as well. I have hatched and raised about 2 dozen bamboos, and they grow very very fast. I have seen their eyes picked out by angelfish, and become extremely lethargic due to copper overdosing. I personally would not leave a magnet in the tank, because people with good intentions may use it and scratch up your tank. Don't leave the temptation if nothing else.
You need to think long and hard about these sharks, IMO. they seem really cool. But many are active nocturnally, and frankly can be downright boring during the day. So you should ask yourself what the attraction is to these animals. It also limits many of the fish you think you can put in tanks. Angels, triggers, large wrasses, puffers - many of the big aggressives are off the list. Even some of the more aggressive tangs should be avoided, IMO.
Again, consider the motivation... if you bought the big tank for the shark, and shark only (everything else being secondary) that is not a big limitation. But if you bought the big tank for a nice display...and hey I can keep a shark too...then you should think about this.
They can be bulldozers, and you will need to secure your rock very well. they do "climb" into and wedge in the rock. Substrate choice can be critical.
Do you intend to hatch it? Then you need a grow out system, and a good plan for feeding. Certainly hatching one would be pointless in a 180. So I am assuming the OP will buy one, and many are already in the 1-2' range at that point.
IMO these sharks are best kept in "pond" type tanks, that are more similar to natural habitats (though they can get out if not careful).

This tank is planned from the start to just hold a shark its a custom size and made very well for a smaller shark. This is my first large tank, I have had a 24 gallon full reef for 3 or 4 years. I am not going with the bamboo as I looked at some adults today and find their color rather plain. I am getting a small or in egg Coral Catshark when the times comes. Why could I not hatch a shark in a 180?

txfishman

Use the search functoin and put in shark egg. So many people have tried to hatch a shark and it ends up dieing within a month or less. You can not hatch a shark in a tank that size because how do you expect it to find food? You need about a 40 gallon breeder to hatch a shark with very little live rock in the tank, it will need a sump (so you can have stable water paremeters) with as much live rock you can get. In the tank you will need sugar fine sand because the larger grains can irratate the shark. You will need to have live ghost shrimp in the tank as it hatches so food will already be introduced.
As far as tank mates i would not put much in the tank with him. If it were me I would not put anything with him and try to get a decent light fixture and grow soft coral for color.

I was planning on having a baby shark in my tank and not in a grow-out tank. I thought i could just use a plastic stick to feed it would this work?

small triggers

no, to begin with a just born or juvi shark, it will not likely take frozen/preped foor. You will need to have live food like ghost shrimp and the shark needs to be able to find them easily, so smaller/closer quarters are what is needed.

txfishman

that is the best way to do it. They have a much better mortality rate. Just be sure to have sugar fine sand in your tank and a good skimmer to work with the bio load.

{LINK DELETED}
I am planning on buying 200lb of Live (I dont plan on buying live rock) Oolite Substrate and a Current USA Fission Skimmer for a 225 Gallon tank. Along with the 30 gallon sump I have and a large amount of biomedia that the protien skimmer can take out all the nitrates it makes.

jpa0741

LINK DELETED
I am planning on buying 200lb of Live (I dont plan on buying live rock) Oolite Substrate and a Current USA Fission Skimmer for a 225 Gallon tank. Along with the 30 gallon sump I have and a large amount of biomedia that the protien skimmer can take out all the nitrates it makes.
I personally would try to go with a much larger skimmer. Skimmers are typically over rated. As you know sharks will make a huge mess.

http:///forum/post/2926239
I personally would try to go with a much larger skimmer. Skimmers are typically over rated. As you know sharks will make a huge mess.
I really cannot afford anything else right now. Would running a bag of chemi pure made for 250 gallon tanks make things ok until I can afford another skimmer or two of the same kind?
And thank you all for all your help!

salt life

http:///forum/post/2925257
Don't worry about the bashing some people just can't help it. As far as the magnet I believe you were worring about the metals and sharks. I don't know how it turned into magnets and scratching. No worries as they are coated well and should not leach metals.
I wasn't bashing anyone, and I can help it thank you very much for the smart comment. If you post your thinking of putting a shark in a 180g tank, people are gonna give you a heads up that it is not the best thing, giving advice that someone doesn't want to hear and bashing is two different things, he started the thread, he can handle what people have to say.

jpa0741

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2926286
I wasn't bashing anyone, and I can help it thank you very much for the smart comment. If you post your thinking of putting a shark in a 180g tank, people are gonna give you a heads up that it is not the best thing, giving advice that someone doesn't want to hear and bashing is two different things, he started the thread, he can handle what people have to say.
Excactly he started the thread asking a specific question not about tank size. You didn't answer that and started going off about other stuff. Answer questions and give advice when asked for it. Other wise don't comment at all.

salt life

http:///forum/post/2926312
Excactly he started the thread asking a specific question not about tank size. You didn't answer that and started going off about other stuff. Answer questions and give advice when asked for it. Other wise don't comment at all.
OK, hold up. there is nothing wrong with extending the advice further than what he asked. In his "2 years" of research, those are pretty basic questions to begin with. And I did nothing wrong by asking what size tank and giving him advice about it because other people have agreed that a 180 is not the best thing for a shark no matter what the situation is. You don't have to get snappy with me about anything I posted. Don't post on a public forum if you dont want advice and to discuss other aspects of his tank. " Answer questions and give advice when asked for it", is wrong. If I didn't ask, he wouldn't of said anything about tank size unless someone else asked.

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2926336
OK, hold up. there is nothing wrong with extending the advice further than what he asked. In his "2 years" of research, those are pretty basic questions to begin with. And I did nothing wrong by asking what size tank and giving him advice about it because other people have agreed that a 180 is not the best thing for a shark no matter what the situation is. You don't have to get snappy with me about anything I posted. Don't post on a public forum if you dont want advice and to discuss other aspects of his tank. " Answer questions and give advice when asked for it", is wrong. If I didn't ask, he wouldn't of said anything about tank size unless someone else asked.
Well I am keeping a shark in that 180 gallon, but I am going with the smaller coral catshark. I understand a tank is no ocean, but don't you keep fish and from your profile its only 75 gallons. I am sure your fish would be happier in a 180 or even better the ocean. So I understand my tank is not the best tank in the world, but its a lot better than most other aquarist's tanks.

salt life

Originally Posted by <scuba steve>
http:///forum/post/2926345
Well I am keeping a shark in that 180 gallon, but I am going with the smaller coral catshark. I understand a tank is no ocean, but don't you keep fish and from your profile its only 75 gallons. I am sure your fish would be happier in a 180 or even better the ocean. So I understand my tank is not the best tank in the world, but its a lot better than most other aquarist's tanks.
Ok, you do what you feel is best, it is your tank and what your gonna do, i have nothing against you and i was never bashing you, that wasn't my intention so idk how it turned into that. I do keep fish in a 75g that are suitable for that tank size and your right, they would be happier in a bigger tank but a shark is much different then what i keep. But in the end, good luck with it, if you have any other questions feel free to post, ill "stay on topic" and other people are glad to help out.

txfishman

I dont think anyone was trying to bash anyone. He was just trying to give advice. If you think about it, all of my advice so far would be condidering bashing. He never asked about skimmers or live rock or sand until i said it. Any way back to the subject.
I would try and use at least a 55 gallon for a sump and if you are not going to have any live rock in the tank (I would put about 25-50 lbs along the back wall) then you will need as much liverock as you can get in your sump as well as getting all of you equipment in there also.

Originally Posted by txfishman
http:///forum/post/2926477
I dont think anyone was trying to bash anyone. He was just trying to give advice. If you think about it, all of my advice so far would be condidering bashing. He never asked about skimmers or live rock or sand until i said it. Any way back to the subject.
I would try and use at least a 55 gallon for a sump and if you are not going to have any live rock in the tank (I would put about 25-50 lbs along the back wall) then you will need as much liverock as you can get in your sump as well as getting all of you equipment in there also.
I agree on the 25-50ibs in the tank, you would want to put some live rock in the tank, these types of sharks like to hide and also are very sensitive to light, so putting a well structured cave in you tank would be the best choice, but do no block up corners or build it in the back of the tank, these sharks can have trouble when stuck in a corner