In wall shark tank

salt life

I didn't vote cause I still don't think your tank is suitable for a shark, I don't know much about rays. You don't really seem to know much about keeping a shark in an aquarium, just some facts about sharks in general..

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2927999
I didn't vote cause I still don't think your tank is suitable for a shark, I don't know much about rays. You don't really seem to know much about keeping a shark in an aquarium, just some facts about sharks in general..
15 years ago I kept leopard sharks for many years and now I work at a public aquarium. I have plenty experence with sharks.

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2927999
15 years ago I kept leopard sharks for many years and now I work at a public aquarium. I have plenty experience with sharks.
I know how to keep them in huge tanks with $30,000 protein skimmers lol, but am still learning how to do it with less active sharks on a smaller scale.

meowzer

I have a cortez ray in my 225g....She is great, she eats raw (store bought) shrimp right from my hand, and a silverside. I also give her scallops (raw store bought)...She does not mess with the other fish, but I have not been able to keep a shrimp...LOL
Ask around though. I think a 180g may be okay temporarily for any type of ray....

snakeblitz33

a 180 is smaller then you think. I have a 240g in my sunroom right now - and when you look at it, it's not really that big. When I get my new house, I have a really big tank in the works :D

Here is what a person on ** Please do not name other forums. Thanks -Sep said about keeping rays/sharks. It sounds like 180 is fine.
First, some info on tank size. 125 gallons is a *small* tank. The minimum tank size for any of the cat or bamboo sharks is 6 feet in length, by 24 inches wide. This amounts to a 180 gallon tank. Again, this is the minimum size, not only for the sharks but for the ray as well. You should know that I'm not just quoting numbers from some book, but speaking form experience. I've kept these animals in the past for several years.
Secondly, most triggers are very poor tank mates for cat sharks, bamboo sharks, and rays. I've seen them lose eyes to curious triggers on more than one occasion in store display tanks. Appropriate trigger species would be the niger, Bluejaw or crosshatched triggers. Tangs are fine, as are angels, larger damsels, groupers and lionfish. Again, a large tank is needed for some of these fish, larger than 125 gallons. I suggest you budget for at least a 180 gallon tank.
Cheers
Jim<<<

aquaknight

Originally Posted by <scuba steve>
http:///forum/post/2926651
I thought sharks were sensitive to bacteria and LR could have them have infections. Is that a good protein skimmer? This tank is made just for a shark So I am going to have very low lighting to make the shark comfortable. I have gotten by with a heavily bio filtered reef tank with chemi pure elite to get rid of as much nitrates as I could. It is about 7 ppm for nitrates and everything else 0. My plan was to have live sand a large amount of bio balls then to get the nitrates out a good protein skimmer and chemi pure. Does this sound like a good idea. My little plug and play tank has about 30 lb of live rock along with a tomatoe clown a pink skunk clon both about 2 inches a flame hawkfish and a dottyback at 1 inch could they go in with the shark?

http:///forum/post/2928273
15 years ago I kept leopard sharks for many years and now I work at a public aquarium. I have plenty experience with sharks.
I know how to keep them in huge tanks with $30,000 protein skimmers lol, but am still learning how to do it with less active sharks on a smaller scale.
Hopefully I'm not the only one with that sees this, but I'm really not trying to call you out steve, but if you really don't get the basic conceptions yet of how the bacteria/nitrogen cycle in aquariums works, what a protien skimmer does, etc, I really suggest you take a couple steps back, do some more reading, and start with some much easier to care for fish, then sharks/rays. That's great that you work at an aquarium, but what they do, large water changes using water collected straight from the sea, sand filters, etc, is definitely different from what home aquarists do.

I do not know where you got the idea that I do not have the basic fish keeping skills down. I have kept "normal" reef fishes for 5 years and years back even a shark. I have unbleached anemones in my tanks perfect water too

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/2928329
I do not know where you got the idea that I do not have the basic fish keeping skills down. I have kept "normal" reef fishes for 5 years and years back even a shark. I have unbleached anemones in my tanks perfect water too
You equated the nitrifying bacteria in live rock, somehow, to bacteria that would infectious to sharks. The two aren't remotely related. You also stated that chemi-pure and/or bio-balls removes nitrates. That is what I based the above off of...

meowzer

The *** site says MINIMUM 180g...I have had my cortez ray 4 months. I got her she was 3" diameter, probably 6" length. In 4 months she has doubled in diameter to 6" (easy) making her 9" long. I thought the largest cortez rays got were around 8". SOmeone who knows ALOT (Crimzy) about rays told me differently, that they could get 12"....If that is the case, he claims the ray will outgrow my tank in 3-5 years.
IDK...BUT I tend to believe him over any website. He actually has rays and has had them for a very long time.

Bio-balls makes nitrates chemi-pure takes nitrates out. Yes LR can be harmful to sharks/rays and even to us; I have known a few people that got very bad infections from live rock. There is much more on LR than just nitrifying bacteria.

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/2928343
Bio-balls makes nitrates chemi-pure takes nitrates out. Yes LR can be harmful to sharks/rays and even to us; I have known a few people that got very bad infections from live rock. There is much more on LR than just nitrifying bacteria.
Again, the only thing chemi-pure (aka actived carbon) does is remove PO4(phosphates) and organics. The only way to remove NO3 (nitrates) is either directly consuming it, like macroalgaes do, or by being able to have the specialized environment which harbors anaerobic bacteria. Anaerobic bacteria is what turns nitrates into nitrogen. Chemi-pure is capable of neither.
Live rock itself does not randomly generate bacterias that are harmful. Sure, some random strains can be brought into the tank that are harmful, but the reactions humans see if completely unrelated to what a fish might see. You are probably a million times more likely to be burned by some random fire coral attached to LR, then get an infectious disease.

http:///forum/post/2928343
The shark would have to cut it's self first, and it could even do that in a tank unfurnished with LR, from powerheads, overflows, and piping, yes you can get infected by live rock, but you can also get infected with your tank water to the same degree, the LR does not make the shark anymore suseptiable to infection, and also long as you have perfect water quality, and add vitamins and feed a varied diet then the shark will heal with no problem, it is mainly water quality and belly irritation from substrate that you have to worry about.

meowzer

My cortez does not mess with the fish. As far as small fish, I have 2 small yellow clown gobies, a yellow tail damsel, 2 perculas....Like I said previously, the only thing I can't seem to keep are shrimp.

Wow not even clown gobies! My dottyback would eat those lol. If thats the case I am going with a reef tank with opden sand bed in front for stingray.