Inducing Corraline Growth

nicodemus

I've had my tank for about a year and have a lot of macroalgae growth. What is the best way to cause the little coraline I have to begin spreading over the other algae?

pontius

I have had explosive coralline growth using C Balance and Kalkwasser. I have also heard that "Purple Up" works great, but I have not used it.

oozy

The best way to help your coraline grow, is your lights + keeping your calcium~400
I use B-ionic, i have some tuffa rock that i have used as "base rock" I can no longer tell the difference...well ok I can, but anyone else looking at my tank would not be able to...
its been about 4 months and ~ 80% covered in greenish coraline and 20% purple
i have 110W PC lighting on for 6 hours/day
goodluck!
-Oozy-

pontius

Originally Posted by Beth
What is the ingredients of that product?

ionic calcium, strontium, magnesium, carbonate, iodine.

chadman

Originally Posted by Oozy
The best way to help your coraline grow, is your lights + keeping your calcium~400
I use B-ionic, i have some tuffa rock that i have used as "base rock" I can no longer tell the difference...well ok I can, but anyone else looking at my tank would not be able to...
its been about 4 months and ~ 80% covered in greenish coraline and 20% purple
i have 110W PC lighting on for 6 hours/day
goodluck!
-Oozy-
coraline likes low light for only a few hours?

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Beth
What is the ingredients of that product?

nothing unique besides aragonite powder which your substrate or liverock is likely made of. the advantage of it is it contains most of the trace elements you'd likely dose seperately as needed. the disadvantage of it is it contains most of the trace elements you'd likely dose seperately as needed.

alyssia

Will purple up help a FOWLR tank grow coralline if it only has the basic lighting? I do not plan on upgrading the lighting on this tank (I already have a reef) but I want some coralline!

fyi

im not using anything and its starting to come in on my glass... do u have coraline now alyssia?
never add anything that u arent testing for!

alyssia

I have coralline in two of my tanks, but not in the one I just set up. The new one is only going to have standard lighting.
Yes, I know that you should never add anything you aren't testing for.

merredeth

Originally Posted by alyssia
Will purple up help a FOWLR tank grow coralline if it only has the basic lighting? I do not plan on upgrading the lighting on this tank (I already have a reef) but I want some coralline!
Yes, it will.
Denise M.

merredeth

The best way I have found to get Correline to populate and spread through the tank is to take one of my rocks and scrape correline off it. This will help seed the tank.
I also dose with Purple Up and test my calcium levels.
I love Purple Up and have been using it for many months and even got the LFS to start recommending it after he saw what a great job it did in one of my tanks.
Denise M.

pclown

I would test my calcium and if it get as low as 400, then I would start using it. I use Purple up and it works great!