Info in LOW LIGHT CORALS???

evmsta

I have been doing some reading on low light corals like brain corals, colt corals. I have a whole list of corals and anemones that need little or no light at all. If anyone has any opinions or info on this please post.

fishieness

brains are moderately lighting corals, not low
and there are NO anenomes that are low lighting corals to my knowlege, some moderately lighting depended, but not low.
some examples of low light corals are zoos, mushrooms, some leathers, and then suncorals and carnations (although very very very difficult to keep) are, for the most part, none photosynthetic
id like to know yourl ist too just to see what you have in mind and the lighting you expect to have too.
goodluck! :)

evmsta

Well, I do not know what lighting to have. Right now I have a 15 watt Sun Glo by ZooMed. The box for this light says for saltwater reef tanks and corals which now I know is very wrong. Anyways here is a list of what I found just seaching the web........
bubble coral
flower leather
brain corals
sea mats
tube corals
finger leather
tonga leather
rose leather
red cactus coral
purple tree colt coral
feather dusters
rock flower anemone
orange fan sponge
flower anemone
green star polyps
mushroom anemone
pineapple coral

fishieness

rock flower anenomes, brain corals, bubbles all need moderate lighting. Some of your leathers do too and even the star polyps. many polyps like zooanthella (zoos) can do with low quite nicely depending on the type.
...not 100% sure of a flower anenome to tell you teh truth, but there are many different names for many different corals...
The spounge and feather dusters are not true corals. Feather dusters are tube worms, related to bristle worms. There is a whoe archived thread about them in the reef section right now. They can go in a tank without any lighting, yet they are not a coral.
a disk anenome is not a TRUE anenome, it is another name for a mushroom coral. These are some of my favorites ever and they are pretty inexpensive depending on the mushroom, spread quickly, and can go under lower lighting situations.
good luck!! you have a 30 gallon tank.... how high is that? Just trying to figure out how much lighting would be good for your system if you are looking to keep low-moderately lighting corals.

blemmy_guy

A Flower anenomie and Rock anenomie are the same thing... Doesnt make sence does it??? But im pretty sure they are.
Todd

fishieness

ohhhh, i have heard people call them rock anenomes or rock flower anenomes, but not flower anenomes. i thought that might have been a different animal.
oo, one hting i forgot to add.... There is one type of anenome taht you can keep with low lighting. It is called a tube anenome. Im not sure if these are realy anenomes too to tell you the truth because they have a tube like a feather duster and they are sessile. They remain in the sand, so you must have a deep sand bed. But they are a low light anenome if you choose to get a small upgrade to what you have. They look fabulous though. There was on at my LFS with like a purple outside with a neon green center.

tscuda

When you say low light and mod light what is the guide line on watts. IE: I have a 55 gal with a 220 watt pc. Where does that put me?

blemmy_guy

I would consider that Moderate, you need 4 to 5 watts ( on average) per gallon. But that doesnt always hold true, but its a good starting place. Todd

snipe

with that (what I have) the bubble anemone will work as they are not High light anemones but moderate.

salty rick

My 55g has white star polyps, neon green striped mushrooms, colt coral, yellow-brown zoos, hairy mushroom, some other brown/green mushroom & Frogspawn.
I have 3 NO 40 watts and 1 NO 30 watt bulbs.

snipe

I see pretty mutch shrooms and polyps and a few kenya trees here and there. Not to many difrent things in that tank.

snipe

I like them as well but that is why I he has so many corals in his tank as shrooms dont need mutch light and even in the NO lights 4 bulbs is alot of NO considered to the normal 2x18inch bulbs lol.

fishieness

rick: you are keeping a frogspawn with 150 watts of NO lighting in a 55?!!!!!!! That doesnt seem like enough to me....lol....but i guess it is working? lol. the frog is good and healthy?
4-5 watts per gallon of PC i would say is moderatae lighting. If you have 4-5 watts per gallon of VHO or MH you would be much better off. lol

salty rick

At least I was told it was a frogspawn. I'll upload a picture later. I could have been told one thing and it was something else. It started with one branch and now it has at least six. That is over a three year period.

salty rick

This is what I was told was a Frogspawn when I bought it. It has done great in my tank. It went from one branch to six or so.

fishieness

yup, that is a frogspawn.... a lot of it looks closed and wilt-ey on the underside though? is that jsut me?
THat seems like it is growing pretty slowly for 3 years. I got one a few weeks ago with three heads, now it has 4 and 6 mouths. Mine is under 192 watts of PC and it is right in the center so it gets a good amount of light.
but i didnt know you could keep a frogspawn under NO, you made me learn something :jumping: lol

snipe

IMO PC and VHO would be about the same in the PAR rating for true growth rate T5 or MH would be needed (MH would be better at reaching deeper depths though).

blemmy_guy

OK i have had this frogspawn for 6 months under 120 watts of Actinics only in a 70 gal tank, and it in the lower half of my tank, and its done really great. I have several softies in there that have done great. I have MH's in my bigger tank and love them, but ive founf that if your water is good, all my corals have done great with out mh's . Im not sure why but they do.. Todd