info on the box fish

cathy joe

my 12 year old son really want's to buy a box fish for our fish tank..or a puffer. I believe our tank is too small for these kind of fish it is 29 gallon. Am I right or is their any way we could have one of them?

ophiura

They are also potentially toxic to other fish should they become stressed, and may require attention to the flow in the tank. They are not particularly strong swimmers and can be overpowered by powerheads/filters. Also a potential threat to some types of inverts.

cathy joe

WELL THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, I THOUGHT OUR TANK WAS TOO SMALL BUT IT'S HARD TO CONVICE OUR KID'S SOMETIMES..SO THE EXTRA INPUT HELPS..THANKS

mr_krabs

Originally posted by Cathy Joe
WELL THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, I THOUGHT OUR TANK WAS TOO SMALL BUT IT'S HARD TO CONVICE OUR KID'S SOMETIMES..SO THE EXTRA INPUT HELPS..THANKS

what about a fu man cho lion?

clarkiiclo

Do you really want a lion around a little kid?
Doesnt sound like too good of an idea.
I know Im allergic.

cathy joe

Is the jaw fish and the box fish the same thing? I can't find a pic of a jawfish if anyone has one would you please post..The lfs told me and my son..lol..that the boxfish would be fine in our tank but the one he had was sick and he didn't want to sell it to us..I'm gratefull for that one...but anymore advice would be appreciated..and thank's for the reply's

buddahjon

Originally posted by Cathy Joe
Is the jaw fish and the box fish the same thing? I can't find a pic of a jawfish if anyone has one would you please post..The lfs told me and my son..lol..that the boxfish would be fine in our tank but the one he had was sick and he didn't want to sell it to us..I'm gratefull for that one...but anymore advice would be appreciated..and thank's for the reply's

boxfish and jawfish are different, i am pretty sure they sell them on this site. they are a type of gobie. they have TONS of personality and they are just really cool fish.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
^^^ that is the link to SWF.com's jawfish, they truely need to be witnessed to be fully appreciated

cathy joe

sorry I meant are the cowfish and boxfish the same...yeah I seen the jawfish it is pretty cool. But my son has his heart set on a puffer or a boxfish and I'm trying to see witch one we might be able to get away with having..

ophiura

Hmmm....I don't have a book with me at the moment but perhaps a small puffer like a valentini might work.

mr_krabs

Originally posted by ClarkiiClo
Do you really want a lion around a little kid?
Doesnt sound like too good of an idea.
I know Im allergic.

oh i forgot about the little kid. Well the child should be fine has long as he doen't touch him.......ouch

snipe

Do freshwater. You can get puffers for freshwater I have seen 3 kinds the dogface it is the same looking as the saltwater one but it is freshwater the figure eight puffer and the spotted puffer. They run around 10 ro 15 dollars a piece and you can have other stuff in there with the figure eight and spotted the dogface would probly eat smaller fish. The figure eight and spotted get up to about 5 inches and you can buy dwarf varieties that only get up to around 1" to 2" and since it is freshwater it would be easy so even he could take care of it. I had a couple of these and they abosulty love frozen baby brine shrimp and you can get that at wal-mart even. So they are really easy to go with and cheap and easy to take care of. All you would would be a 10 gallon tank and you can get a complete setup from walmart for $50 that is what I would do for the puffer anyway.

clarkiiclo

Good idea! Fahaka puffers are a cool puffer too. They get larger but it would be a really really long time before it outgrew your 29.