Innovative Coraline Removal

maxsmart

Does anyone have a method other than razor blades for removing coraline? I've been working on this for months, I've bought tons of hard, plastic brushes (designed for anything from grout cleaning to dish washing) with no success. The other day I found a plastic paint scraper at walmart - surprisingly, worthless on coraline. I'm scared of scratching the glass (
I'm not just scared of big scratches, I don't want small, microscopic scratches that over time erode the clarity of the glass), so I want to stick with something softer than the glass.
The only thing I found that works is a plastic measuring spoon we use to measure additives. It is made of a very hard plastic, cuts right through coraline - but it has rounded edges, so I can only scrape a very narrow path with it - it would take days to complete my 72gal bowfront.
I read about a tool that has a heating element that is supposed to kill the coraline and make it easy and quick to scrape, anyone tried it? Any other ideas?

xdave

Have you considered having children? Thats the only thing that ever worked for me. Try to marry someone short but with long arms.

merredeth

Personally I like using a razor blade as it comes right off and if done at about 30 degree angle I don't have a problem.
Some people use an old credit card though. I did it with my jewelery store credit card and promptly found a piece of jewelery I wanted.
Removing the correline with the card was not a fair trade in my opinion.
The sale was over before my replacement card came.
Denise M.

yupi1982

Originally Posted by xDave
Have you considered having children? Thats the only thing that ever worked for me. Try to marry someone short but with long arms.
lol hilarious hahaha

maxsmart

Originally Posted by funkyman
Google "Kent Pro Scraper". It has a stainless steel blade, and comes in various lengths.

Last I checked, stainless steel is harder than glass. That's what razor blades are made of.

funkyman

Originally Posted by MaxSmart
Last I checked, stainless steel is harder than glass. That's what razor blades are made of.
So what's your point?

maxsmart

Originally Posted by funkyman
So what's your point?

I asked for scraping methods/tools that were softer than glass and therefore wouldn't scratch it.

darknes

Using plastic won't necessarily guarantee you won't scratch the glass. Personally, I prefer to use a razor blade because I know I can get right to the glass surface in one smooth scrape. If you are using plastic, you risk the chance of getting a rock or anything between the glass and scraper, thus causing scratches.

tank watch

I hava a magfloat magnet thingy for cleaning the glass, with an acrylic razor holder attached to it at the correct angle. when needed I slip a blade in and scrape the tough spots...

S

slofish

Originally Posted by MaxSmart
I asked for scraping methods/tools that were softer than glass and therefore wouldn't scratch it.

been using the metal blade on a bowfront for about 1 year.... no scratches at all. had a run in w/ some silicone though. (the blade won
)

merredeth

Originally Posted by SLOFish
been using the metal blade on a bowfront for about 1 year.... no scratches at all. had a run in w/ some silicone though. (the blade won
)
I've come close to nipping the silicone but keep winning that one.
The blade holder I use is angled and I have never scratched my glass tanks nor have I damaged my acylic one that I can see.
Denise M.

S

slofish

Originally Posted by Merredeth
I've come close to nipping the silicone but keep winning that one.
The blade holder I use is angled and I have never scratched my glass tanks nor have I damaged my acylic one that I can see.
Denise M.

at least you're winning the silicone battle.
on the acrylic... r u using the plastic
or metal scraper ?

merredeth

at least you're winning the silicone battle.
on the acrylic... r u using the plastic
or metal scraper ?
I use a razor blade that is in a holder that is angled at about 30 degrees.
Denise M.

S

slofish

Originally Posted by Merredeth
I use a razor blade that is in a holder that is angled at about 30 degrees.
Denise M.

Brave... very brave to be using a razor blade on the acrylic..

just got my first acrylic and im afraid to even use the new plastic on it

funkyman

I don't think Kent would be selling a product that would damage a person's tank. If you know they something they don't, you may want to give them a call. They've already sold thousands.
They specify the stainless one's are for glass and not acrylic. Of course that disclaimer is intended for the same people Preparation H has to state "don't eat this product" for.

funkyman

I don't think Kent would be selling a product that would damage a person's tank. If you know something they don't, you may want to give them a call. They've already sold thousands.

"Any" tool in the wrong hands, used incorrectly will result in damage. Kent specifys the stainless one's are for glass and not acrylic. Of course that disclaimer is intended for the same people Preparation H has to state "don't eat this product" for.

merredeth

Brave... very brave to be using a razor blade on the acrylic..

just got my first acrylic and im afraid to even use the new plastic on it

After seeing all the correline all over the place, you'll find your cojones and try something on the acrylic.
Hell, I am a woman and really had to look for some cojones.

Denise M.