Intake manifolds

drtito

I that case I will need new "higher rated" tires after I wear these down.
Thanks for setting me strait, I had bin playing with fire a long time now.

Now back to the crank, your recomedation?
Should I wait and get a stroker kit before I do anything else? I am alreday .30 over
Thanks for answering my queststion and for taking your time up.

socal57che

I wouldn't do the stroker kit unless you just have the money to spend. I'd do a steel crank with high strength connecting rods and forged pistons since you are considering nitrous. Compression ratio is a MAJOR concern if you intend to turbocharge or supercharge the motor. Both drastically raise cylinder pressure. If you start with 11:1 compression, and add a supercharger later, you will destroy the pistons due to detonation.
Nitrous introduces more oxygen to the intake charge by bonding it to nitrogen. Cylinder pressure will increase during nitrous use, but under normal driving conditions your engine functions as a normally aspirated engine. Nitrous is used during full throttle only. (for all intents and purposes here)

deejeff442

oh this brings back memories.
i had a 1973 olds 442 with a 455 i added a 6:71 blower.
i miss that car.
my friend bought it and still has it .
if i were to build another car (except missing a huge piece of artwork out of the hood)i would go turbo.
dirt cheap to set up and now they barely have a lag.
and dont steel hp from drag.

drtito

Like I said I want to keep my options open and nitrous is one of them. After reading all this and hearing everyones feedback on it , I feel that nitrous is the last thing you*ed add to an engine. (if and when I do,the plate style will work)
I will go for the blower once I get the crank.
Thanks for clearing that up.

deejeff442

i have put together a few blower motors.
bds has a nice book on blower motore with common questions and answers.
personally i like to have the piston compression at around 8 to 8:5.
some like it around 7 so you can have higher boost but you will lose throttle response from idle.
top fuel dragsters are 8:5
the whole trick to making power and keeping the engine cool in a blower moter is the exaust side ,alot of duration on the cam set at 112-114 centerline and the biggist diameter headers that will fit.
i just sold a sbc blower set up a few months ago i had sitting around .
all roller ,dart aluminum heads the works.figured i wouldnt ever get around to getting a car to put it in.
well good luck.

drtito

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3032395
i have put together a few blower motors.
bds has a nice book on blower motore with common questions and answers.
personally i like to have the piston compression at around 8 to 8:5.
some like it around 7 so you can have higher boost but you will lose throttle response from idle.
top fuel dragsters are 8:5
the whole trick to making power and keeping the engine cool in a blower moter is the exaust side ,alot of duration on the cam set at 112-114 centerline and the biggist diameter headers that will fit.
i just sold a sbc blower set up a few months ago i had sitting around .
all roller ,dart aluminum heads the works.figured i wouldnt ever get around to getting a car to put it in.
well good luck.
Thanks , I will write that down.
I do have a 3 inch exguhast already. How much did you pay for the blower ??

deejeff442

seeing i know what parts i need i bought everything part by part on ----.
i forget what are you running? chevy,ford?
just make sure not to over carb the motor.it is very easy to put too much cfm to a blower motor.
sbc 2 600cfm carbs would be max unless you have a huge stall or stick shift.
demon makes some nice carb set ups check them out on ----.
the ---- stores sell new parts cheap compared to the jegs and summit.

tscuda

To add my 2 cents. I see that you live in AZ. And was saying something about 4x4. I'd say go with a stroker motor. NOS costs about 30 bucks to fill a 10 lb bottle and only lasts for about 20 seconds. A blower adds a lot of heat. A stroker adds a lot of torque. I built a Dodge 340 into a 416 and I'm just shy of 600 hp @5600 rpm. and 635 tq @4400. Starting from the top. 750 cfm Holley double pumper, Eddy RPM Airgap intake, ported Eddy heads, 535 lift Hughs cam, 10.8 comp pistons. I didn't go overboard and still have a street friendly motor.That runs on pump gas. And with the stroker you don't need low gears. My Challenger is happy with 3.73 cogs. I haven't been down the 1/4 yet but it should run at the bottom of the 11's.

deejeff442

not to say its impossible to make 600 hp out of 400 c.i. but ,where did you get that number from?
was it dynoed?
i hung around a speed shop quite a bit and watched many dyno runs and they never came close to those numbers with only 750 cfm and 10:8 compression.
these were racing motors with 12:1 with dominator carbs at 1150 cfm
383 strokers getting a bit over 500 hp. that is corected hp from 6-8 pulls with carb,timing and cam changes.
also blown motors do run hotter but 5 core radiator ,higher octane fuel and the right timing curve and they run great.

tscuda

Yes it was dynoed. Thats at the crank not the tires. Stroked MoPars will make that number with out problem. Even their stroker crate motors make over 400hp. With their smallish cam and factory heads.

tscuda

Not knocking a blower motor. But it would cost a bit more to build one then a stroker. Plus the added cost of race gas or boosters. Paxton and others like them you can get by with hi oct pump gas. But still the price would be over 3grand to get one running. I did have the idea of running a paxton before I built my motor. But no one makes a kit to just bolt on a MoPar. BTW he never did say what engine he has.

deejeff442

well hell thats a nice motor you have then.
i never got into mopar so i dont know what can be done sorry

i have always liked olds motors they make a ton of torque.
but they have alot of issues with oil pressure.
i do like sbc because you can rev the hell out of them 8000rpm aint no problem to set up .

deejeff442

i wish i could post pics of my 442 with the blower it looked awesome but i cant figure out how to scan an old paper picture.