Invasion of the "Baby Peppermint Shrimp"

leona

Ok, about 1am our peppermint shrimp hatched or layed her babies. We thought that it was going to be eggs not shrimp.....But looking closely they are infact shrimp. I'm sure that our filter will kill most of them but there are thousands. It looks like it's snowing in my tank. Yes i'm sure they are shrimp. If our fish were in the tank MAN would they be happy eaters. But only inverts in our main tank with 2 blenny's and they don't seem to care much about them.
Can anyone tell me anything about these little guys?
Here's the best picture I could get.
Leona

leona

well that's just great...........
Since our tank has no fish in. Our fish are in QT for another 2 weeks what will happen to these guys......Just die?
Or do we have to call a shrimp boat...:thinking:

bang guy

I'm sure they're all gone by now :)
They lay their eggs under their tail in the pleopods. They'll be green until a couple days before they're going to hatch.

g8er_h8er

Leona,
I just had a similar hatching last night. Hundreds of little peppermints swimming around. I have the same dillema as you, just have inverts right now so no fish to eat the little guys.
I guess they'll just die off?

I

irenicus

They will most likely be eaten up or not survive. Peppermints tend to have babies often.

leona

Originally posted by g8er_h8er
Leona,
I just had a similar hatching last night. Hundreds of little peppermints swimming around. I have the same dillema as you, just have inverts right now so no fish to eat the little guys.
I guess they'll just die off?

what happened to yours ours were gone this morning.

T

tuningvis

what if you put the female in the QT and let them hatch in there with no predators .. will they still die...???

bang guy

Originally posted by ToasterMan
could you raise them with lots of hard work and dedication.. becuse man that would be awsome..

Yes. Get the Pamphlet - How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp by Joyce Wilkerson.