Inverts, CUC & Ich

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you are QTing for other reasons, as cited in that article, then a whole other protocol is needed.
That was a good read.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392189/inverts-cuc-ich/20#post_3481301
Well, if you are QTing for other reasons, as cited in that article, then a whole other protocol is needed.
That was a good read.
I agree totally, but you never know what your ganna get. You know what mama says abouth them box's of chocolate.....
Thanks.

btldreef

I QT everything, corals, rock, algae and inverts usually get 2 weeks, fish get 8-10.
My tank has ich, always has, (even thought I don't see it), I don't make it a secret. I originally thought it was from a fish that I did not QT because I knew where it came from, etc (stupid, I know), but after a lot of thought, I really think it came from inverts that I did not QT. They were in a tank with fish at the LFS, and the fish had ich. Live and learn. Now I have ich and I deal with it.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/392189/inverts-cuc-ich#post_3481254
The parasite can attach to hard surfaces. Equipment, glass, sand, rock, and shells. It is not as likely that you introduce it through those means, but it can feasibly happen. If a fish store is housing their live rock, rock mounted corals, and inverts in systems that are separated from fish tanks, then very likely you will not have an ich problem introduced to your system. 99.9% unlikely, LOL. Ich can only survive for a very short time on those hard surfaces before it must continue on to the next stage in its normal life cycle. If you are going to QT live rock, etc, a couple of days is more than enough time.
Again your taking a gamble......99.9% is safe enough.....That's what I don't get.....Even with corals....you might trust your LFS, but what about pests other than ICH......How many people come to find out that they have redbugs, or flatworms.....Why because they take that gamble....
.The statement of only a couples days is absurd.....How can a couple days make it ok......You obviously can't see something hidden and yes, it might only be a couple days that it can live in that state, but can you verify and confirm how far along the progress is......Nope!!!!!

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/392189/inverts-cuc-ich/20#post_3481322
I QT everything, corals, rock, algae and inverts usually get 2 weeks, fish get 8-10.
My tank has ich, always has, (even thought I don't see it), I don't make it a secret. I originally thought it was from a fish that I did not QT because I knew where it came from, etc (stupid, I know), but after a lot of thought, I really think it came from inverts that I did not QT. They were in a tank with fish at the LFS, and the fish had ich. Live and learn. Now I have ich and I deal with it.

Agree!!!!! Have you ever heard the horror stories of someone buying a bunch of macros only to find out that they got an unexpected surprise.....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
acrylic, the OP asked about ich, not everything else. My comments relate to ich, not all the other stuff, since that is what was being asked about. If hobbyists wish to QT everything for all reasons, then that is great for sure. That is the safest way to handle all undesirable problems associated with introducing pests and diseases into the aquaria.
However, if all you are worried about is ich, my comments stand and are not absurd.

acrylic51

Beth I am the OP.....and yes I did extend the conversation towards other unwanteds....With that said 3 days.......