iodine test kit?

jacrmill

I have 2 peppermint shrimp, so I have been adding kent marine Iodine as it says on the bottle. But I am worried about adding it, wihtout testing for it. Is it a big deal? Do I need to test for it?
While I'm at it, I also add arga milk to stabilize ph and calcium. But I dont have a calcium test kit. should I buy one? can I add too much arga milk?

autofreak44

Originally Posted by jacrmill
I have 2 peppermint shrimp, so I have been adding kent marine Iodine as it says on the bottle. But I am worried about adding it, wihtout testing for it. Is it a big deal? Do I need to test for it?
While I'm at it, I also add arga milk to stabilize ph and calcium. But I dont have a calcium test kit. should I buy one? can I add too much arga milk?
first off, your peppermints should be ok without dosing iodine, IMO only dose what you can test for. as for your calcium and ph, if your ph is off then adding arga milk will only mask the real problem which could be a lot of things from salinity to temp to oxygen content. and yes get a calcium test kit
what is your ph at now?

jacrmill

sorry, I might not have been clear. My ph is totally fine. But the arga milk says to add it daily. I have been, and it made my coraline go crazy. It just kinda worried me, what do you guys think?

N

nereef

iodine shouldn't be needed unless you have a bunch of large leather corals.

jacrmill

no corals, just worried about my little shrimps. The main thing I do worry about is that I do run carbon pretty much all the time. I would be scared it would eliminate the iodine in the water and not allow my shrimps to build their little exoskeletons.
Also, can you overdose arga milk?

N

nereef

how big is this tank? i can't believe that two peppermint shrimp would exaust the iodine in the water column.

geoj

Originally Posted by jacrmill
no corals, just worried about my little shrimps. The main thing I do worry about is that I do run carbon pretty much all the time. I would be scared it would eliminate the iodine in the water and not allow my shrimps to build their little exoskeletons.
Also, can you overdose arga milk?
You can overdose arga milk and your cal. and alk will fall because water can only hold so much minerals in solution.
I dose iodine because I skim all the time and I don’t do many water changes.
Your biological load may be too little to need iodine and there is only one way to know...

jacrmill

just a 29 gallon. I guess Im going to have to get a couple more test kits. I will get a calcium and an iodine test kit. is that all i should need?

geoj

Aragamilk has Calcium, Carbonate, Strontium, Magnesium, and Potassium.
I would test calcium, alkalinity (KH), and Iodine.
By the way I for some reason don't like Aragamilk, but if you do and it works then use it.

bang guy

Shrimp have no need whatsoever for Iodine. It is found in their exoskeleton because that's how they remove it from their bodies as it is highly toxic to crustaceans.

jacrmill

wow, now that makes a point. I will no longer add iodine, and will not have to buy a test kit. Thanks for that....