Iodine??

saltygerman

Hello I have only been doing this for about 6 months.I have a 75 gal reef tank which I have satrted adding some leathers.I have 1 toadstool and 1 finger and saw some mention of adding Iodine.Can someone tell me the best way of doing this or point me in the right direction to find out how this is best done?

stdreb27

I use kent's iodine, just make sure you get a test kit, if levels are too high you'll nuke your tank.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by saltygerman
http:///forum/post/2810641
Directions are on the bottle I assume?
lugols (kent product) says put 2 drops per 50 gallons in a week.
You really need some sort of iodine product so you can dip your corals to get rid of unwanted hitchhikers before introducing them to your tank. But yes directions are on the side of the bottle. Just make sure you buy an Iodine test kit too. Because if your levels get too high it does get toxic.

saltygerman

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2810666
lugols (kent product) says put 2 drops per 50 gallons in a week.
You really need some sort of iodine product so you can dip your corals to get rid of unwanted hitchhikers before introducing them to your tank. But yes directions are on the side of the bottle. Just make sure you buy an Iodine test kit too. Because if your levels get too high it does get toxic.
Thank you!

calaxa

Iodine for reef tanks have 2 different functions. Most people use for dipping as a disinfectant to rid parasites/disease/etc.
Soft corals also benefit from iodine. Coralline needs a small amount as well if I recall. It also benefits some inverts such as shrimp as they need it for molting. Testing for iodine is a pain. No test kit is very reliable. I add 1-2ml every now and again if I see the xenia is shedding or the kenya tree doesn't open fully.
The first time I read the kent bottle, it said put 1 capful(5ml) per 50 gallons. I did that and then I read the second sentence. It said this is amount weekly and the preferred method is to drip it daily. The next minute my anemone shriveled up to a 2" ball (he's usually 12" across), my shrimp molted within minues after, and all my softies puffed up (each one doubling in size). Fish didn't care at all. I did a 25% water change and nem was fine next day. My softies remained puffed for a few days. The xenias grow like weeds already and iodine is a fertilizer for them.
If you do water changes often, the salt mix will have enough trace iodine that no addition is needed. Stuff like purple up, marine trace, etc. have iodine in them as well.

perfectdark

The most important step that should never be skipped. Do not dose anything you do not test for. No matter what the bottle tells you make sure you test first.

saltygerman

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2817473
The most important step that should never be skipped. Do not dose anything you do not test for. No matter what the bottle tells you make sure you test first.

Thanks for the advice.I have an API reef master test kit.I know to test for nitrates.But i also see people testing for nitrites???I dont see test set for this at LFS???

calaxa

It's there. Look closer for it. Ideal world you should have zero nitrites if the nitrogen cycle is fully established.
Free nitrogen goes to ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. In full equilibrium, all ammonia will be fixed to nitrite by existing bacteria and then to nitrate. Nitrate would be removed via water changes and algae.

saltygerman

Originally Posted by calaxa
http:///forum/post/2817829
It's there. Look closer for it. Ideal world you should have zero nitrites if the nitrogen cycle is fully established.
Free nitrogen goes to ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. In full equilibrium, all ammonia will be fixed to nitrite by existing bacteria and then to nitrate. Nitrate would be removed via water changes and algae.
Thanks I appreciate all the help.

morayeels

Everyone is so up tight on using iodine. Put it this way I drip 100mls of iodine every third dat to my soft coral tank. By the time you have the iodine through your system it has be asorbed by the carbon in your system. Iodine is color as well as food for soft corals and im not afraid to use it in large amounts.

bang guy

If you have any Crustaceans in your system skip the Iodine. It's not needed for anything a hobbiest would typically keep.

flricordia

If you are worried abotu Iodine use then dose just half what the directions recommend. I have used Kent's Iodine since I started reef-keeping going on 15 years, have used it daily at a rate of 4-8 drops per day per 50gls and have always had fantastic results. Long-lived crustations with easy molts, healthy corals and good growth. Never have tested for it, but never have overdosed according to the directions.
It makes a great healing dip for damaged/fraggedcorals and helps crustations with their molts.
Frag a zoanthid for a test. Dip one frag in Iodine and the other leave as is and see which opens and heals faster.
I have stopped using it before jsut to see the results if there were any differences. Within a few days time the corals would not open as fully and within aweek begin to loose their vibrant colors

bang guy

Originally Posted by nacl freak
http:///forum/post/2824357
Doesn't protein skimmer remove iodine?
Not directly. Single-celled algae sequesters Iodine rapidly, the algae go through a normal lifespan and at the end of that lifespan the skimmer removes the dead algae.