IOTM:Crabs I- Emerald crabs

wax32

I usually net em when they are wandering near the front glass... not very often.
If you catch em at night it's pretty easy. But yeah, taking the whole rock out is the way I'd do it without the net thing.

celacanthr

I suspect that it would be difficult no matter what way you go, to try and get it out.

They are just a pain, I guess. :thinking:

wax32

In more ways than one. My main problem with them is they are like a bull in a china shop. No big deal if you have huge colonies but I buy small frags... they tend to knock them around.

team2jndd

How many can i put in my 58 reef? And I have a large one that attacked my finger the other day but he was protecting himself because I went to move a rock that he was on.

clown52

How compatable are these with other crabs? Say a Sally Lightfoot, or Anemone crab?
I love the look of each crab but don't want them tearing each other apart.
Awesome article and pic!

celacanthr

Well, I suppose that it would depend on the temperment of the other crabs, and the size of the tank. If I remember correctly, when/if sally lightfoots begin to reach their full size they become exceedingly aggressive. I suppose the anemone crab(which one are you talking about?) wouldn't be a problem, since they stay mostly within the anemone. So, I would suppose that it is ok, as long as you have a large enough tank, and do have a place to move a crab if it begins to get aggressive.

clown52

Well I don't have any in my tank right now so maybe I will try to go with a couple of Emeralds then and forget about the Sally.
Thanks! :jumping:

mr_bill

I have an odd emerald crab who thinks he is a clown fish. He insists on being right under the tentacles of my anemone and even brushes the arms away without being stuck to. This same anemone is very sticky towards any food or even my plastic eye-dropper so I just don't get how he does this.
At night the anemone shrinks and the crab follows, almost like he's hosting it along with my two GSM clowns. Anyone else see anything like this, and are they immune to anemones?

ctgretzky9

3 Emerald crabs in my 60...one huge and 2 smaller ones. None have ever exhibited any aggresiveness toward fish or other inverts.
THey seem to be great at cleaning up debris, especially when loose nori or cheato sink to the bottom of the tank.
They share a tank with a couple of large zebra hermits, many assorted blue leg and scarlet hermits, a CBS and 7 or so peppermint shrimp, as well as a myriad of small snails.

pfitz44

Just want to say that this thread made me go out and get some e crabs.... got 2 yesterday... theyre soo cool to watch.... not agressive twards anything in my tank...

celacanthr

Originally Posted by ctgretzky9
3 Emerald crabs in my 60...one huge and 2 smaller ones. None have ever exhibited any aggresiveness toward fish or other inverts.
THey seem to be great at cleaning up debris, especially when loose nori or cheato sink to the bottom of the tank.
They share a tank with a couple of large zebra hermits, many assorted blue leg and scarlet hermits, a CBS and 7 or so peppermint shrimp, as well as a myriad of small snails.
Male? Female? Maybe they are all female, or male..or...
Also, are there any fish in there with them?
Oh, PFitz YOU TOO! Gotta tell gender and tank mates, and if you saw anything suspicious!

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
Male? Female? Maybe they are all female, or male..or...
Also, are there any fish in there with them?
Oh, PFitz YOU TOO! Gotta tell gender and tank mates, and if you saw anything suspicious!

No idea of ---...I dont check my inverts for --- lol
Fish include copperband butterfly, yellow tang, blue chromis, yellow fin damsel, 4 stripe damsel, fp clownfish. Also an orange linkia, and 2 brittlestar.

pfitz44

Tried to find dthem lastnight to --- them, but they were hiddin in teh bottom of my LR... so there they will stay...
Tank mates:
2 false p. clowns
1 royal dottyback
1 flame angel
1 dwarf lion
1 lawnmower blenny

celacanthr

I hate you sooooo much.... :mad:
:hilarious
Mr.Bill- that is an awesome pic! Lets see wax's emerald do that! That is kind of wierd though how it stays there...maybe it feels threatened by something in your tank, and that is the only place that they won't bother it...