IOTM:Crabs I- Emerald crabs

wax32

Yesh!

I changed my image to reflect the new information. Your original post with the taxonomic info is too old to edit though I bet.

celacanthr

yep, toooooo old, but I guess it is a good thing to let the people who read this know why it isn't Mithrax any longer, and is actually Mithraculus.

celacanthr

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
I will begin by showing their “family tree” to everyone:
Eukaryote
--Animalia
----Arthropoda

[hr]
Malacostraca

[hr]
Decapoda

[hr]
Majidae

[hr]
Mithraculus (Mithrax)

[hr]
sculptus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think i was confused thinking that Mithraculus was used when talkin about the genus itself, and Mithrax was used whent alkin about a specific critter.

wax32

Ahh. Yeah in taxonomy when a name in parenthesis follows another name the name in parenthesis is the old name. Sometimes you will also see something like Mithraculus (= Mithrax)

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
NERDS!! lol joking....goodnight, i'm tired, tipsy, and have class in 6 hours

lmao...i was going to post the same, and I am not tipsy or tired

relaxn79

ya, emerald crabs are pimps. they are so cool, except when they get scared. Only once did I see my big emerald crab grab my tiny one. They are way to slow to ever attack a fish. I have seen them try to grab a fish but the fish just punks the crab and bumps into him. They are so cool to watch. way better then a hermit that hides and you cant even see anyways.

wax32

Originally Posted by relaxn79
way better then a hermit that hides and you cant even see anyways.

Them's fightin' words!
(Regulars here know I LOVE hermits.)

pfitz44

So.... funny story happened today with my emralds....
After seeing this, i got 2 about a month ago, and last week, i got 2 more. I come home today, to find my crab fighting with one of my camelback shrimps..... and guess who won???
the shrimp!! so he had a nice expensive tasty snack!

wax32

Wow! You sure they were fighting? I'd be more likely to think the crab was already dead and the shrimp ate it.

effishient

I would say the same thing... I have four emerald crabs in my 55 gal and one of my emmy's tore apart my coral banded shrimp while I was at work one day. (my wife said she saw the horrific display).
Also, back to the first page of the discussion about these crabs, I definitely notice the same behavior among the ones I have. My yellow tang swoops about the tank and seemingly without tiring, one of the crabs will appear to try to "grab" the tang as it swims by. Of course, it has never gotten close, but it's humorous to observe. Interesting characters these emerald's are.

pfitz44

Originally Posted by wax32
Wow! You sure they were fighting? I'd be more likely to think the crab was already dead and the shrimp ate it.
Yup they were fighting.. he was tryin to grab the shrimp with his claw... kinda funny....