IOTM: Seastars Part I

bang guy

Originally Posted by ophiura
Bang Guy - an interesting beastie...how long have you had it?
It was a hitchhiker on some Florida rock I received in August of 2000 so it's over 5 years old now. It has grown from dime sized to penny sized in that period of time. I see it about once every 6 months so I'm guessing it likes to hang out on the bottom of rocks or in other cryptic areas. I think it eats sponges but it's hard to tell.

ophiura

Ah, with that info I think I can see the picture of it in my minds eye...I have a book on echinoderms from that area so I will hope to get you a name on it soon.
But 5 years, huh?

bang guy

Originally Posted by ophiura
But 5 years, huh?
Of course there is the possibility that I'm not seeing the same one every time but that would mean it's reproducing and the offspring are always about the same size and never missing legs.

ophiura

There is a Caribbean Asterina but its arms are not so distinct...this one might be Poraniella echinulata.

acrylic300

I think I have a Green Brittle Star. I was lowering a large rock from the LFS into the tank and it scared the crap out of me. I havn't really seen it since except for one arm sticking out of the back of the same rock it came in. It's been 3 weeks I hope it comes out someday.

sterling007

Originally Posted by surfer11
Are basket stars hard to keep :notsure: :thinking:
YES!! You should have been able to pick up that idea from reading the posts so far.

ophiura

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
ophiura I thought that urchins were diadema?
Diadema is a genus of sea urchin, specifically the long spined sea urchin.

ophiura

Originally Posted by sterling007
YES!! You should have been able to pick up that idea from reading the posts so far.

And if there is anyone truly qualified to give this answer, it is Sterling!!! From experience

debbie

Ophiura, excellent topic. Hope it is okay to post a picture of my star.
Here is "chippy" my chocolate chip star. What character it has added to my tank.

mommyfishy

I am thinking about getting a chocolate chip star. I have only LR in my tank but I have a scooter blenny and a mandarian goby that are just babies and am worried that it might eat them. Also will it eat the tube worms on my Live rock? Another Question is I have a pom pom crab and an emerald will they it it LOL? thanks for the answers. By the way great article.
:cheer: :cheer:

sprang

I miss my green brittle, but he was eating my coral so I traded him in for a shrimp(boring), and he died a couple days ago. Is there such thing as a totally reef safe star that can survive in a smaller tank? I was thinking of a black brittle I've heard they are less aggressive. Anyone have any problems with the black brittles?

ophiura

There is no way to determine the behavior of any species in a given tank. I have heard nearly every species of brittlestar in this hobby accused of eating things...yes I have several that I rarely even see of those same species.
What were you feeding your brittlestar? What corals was it eating? Are you sure that the corals were completely healthy and growing?

sprang

I fed him big chunks of raw uncooked shrimp every other day and shrimp pellets daily. He was eating my xenia which was totally healthy, like all my coral, bright and colorful and growing like weeds. I guess he just got a taste for the xenia? This green brittle was a monster though which may have contributed to his behavior. I wish there were a species that were totally reef safe because I think they are so cool.