Irritated about chillers.

novahobbies

Very frustrated. I guess my IceProbe heard me talking about the tank temps just tonight, and decided it had had enough. Just an hour ago I hear a slight pop and a fizzle. I went to check the tank, and lo and behold, the IceProbe connection is totally fried. Funny thing is, it never got even a little wet. I think maybe it's because that thing runs constantly....but I don't know.
The short version is, I am now without any sort of chiller. At least it's the "winter" months here. But I'm doubly irritated because all the little nano chillers I remember from a year or two ago (1/16-1/20th HP) all seem to be discontinued now!
I guess I'm a little frustrated because this SEEMS like the perfect excuse to get a small real chiller, but there aren't any in my price range....especially with the holidays. It would also have to be small enough to fit in the new cabinet I just built. I guess I'm stuck spending another C-note on a new Ice probe.....

tamiw

PLEASE DO NOT post competitor links
Also, have you just considered using a fan and evaporative cooling? Depends on your tank, but I have one that was reaching 80s in the summer, but with a fan I was able to get it down to 74. It was just a cheap fan from walmart place so it would blow across the surface of the tank. Of course I was constantly topping off because of it.

novahobbies

Tami, I have 2 fans on the tank now (one over the MH, and one blowing across the water surface). Those fans, in conjunction with the ice probe, just barely kept it cool enough....but that poor ice probe was running constantly. I'll probably have to get another one as a stopgap simply b/c I have too many other things in line to purchase for the new house. If I could find a used one in the $200 range I'd seriously consider swinging for that, but my local craigslist is surprisingly bare of used chillers right now.
I thought about the AquaEuro, and I might get it one day, but I've heard comments about the noise on those units...and this is going in the bedroom, so this has to be as quiet as possible.
Thanks for looking that stuff up, though....and welcome to the site!

meowzer

NOVA.....I have an AquaEuro 1/13th that I just got a few months back......IMO it is extremely quiet
Since I no longer have horses...hmmmm......I will pm you

S

saxman

We've got several Current Prime Chillers that have been running well for several years. They make a 1/15 hp chiller with a true Ti temp exchanger as opposed to a TE Peltier junction. If you want something a bit larger, go with the 1/10 hp.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/389506/irritated-about-chillers#post_3443255
Tami, I have 2 fans on the tank now (one over the MH, and one blowing across the water surface). Those fans, in conjunction with the ice probe, just barely kept it cool enough....but that poor ice probe was running constantly. I'll probably have to get another one as a stopgap simply b/c I have too many other things in line to purchase for the new house. If I could find a used one in the $200 range I'd seriously consider swinging for that, but my local craigslist is surprisingly bare of used chillers right now.
I thought about the AquaEuro, and I might get it one day, but I've heard comments about the noise on those units...and this is going in the bedroom, so this has to be as quiet as possible.
Thanks for looking that stuff up, though....and welcome to the site!
Meowzer to the rescue! I got the same chiller on her recommendation....It is very quiet, and it does not run constantly but keeps my 56g at a nice 74/75 I put mine in my bedroom as well on a nice flat borad, not the carpet (next to my tank since I have a sump in the stand)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiw http:///t/389506/irritated-about-chillers#post_3443251
PLEASE DO NOT post competitor links
Also, have you just considered using a fan and evaporative cooling? Depends on your tank, but I have one that was reaching 80s in the summer, but with a fan I was able to get it down to 74. It was just a cheap fan from walmart place so it would blow across the surface of the tank. Of course I was constantly topping off because of it.
Just wanted to say WELCOME, here you are being helpful and it's your very first post....Glad to have you!

tamiw

Oops! Sorry! They were the first ones that came up on a google search. For those that didn't catch it, the iceprobe is still made, and there are chillers down to 1/13th HP.

S

saxman

The one thing I wasn't crazy about the Aqua Euro is that they apparently don't have dual-stage controllers, so they won't control you heater. This means if you aren't careful both pieces of equipment could be working against each other. To insure this doesn't happen, you will have to guard band the temp differential, which means the tank's temp will fluctuate a bit more.

novahobbies

I usually don't need to worry about a heater down here in SF for the seahorse tank....keeping it in the low 70's is always a fight. But as you say, I'll have to keep a closer eye on it if I manage to swing the purchase of a real chiller rather than the ice probe.
Here's a question: I can tell from the size that I'll be able to fit in in the cabinet next to the ATO container, but....how much room do I need around the unit for air flow? Will it be safe to keep it in a three-sided cabinet if the cabin is fully open in the back? My guess would be if the air intake is in the front of the chiller, then I should face it backwards so it's more open for airflow, yes?
...After all the work I did for the new storage cabinet and stand, I know my darling boss is NOT going to entertain the idea of having a piece of equipment visible outside the cabinet. ;-)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/389506/irritated-about-chillers#post_3443788
I usually don't need to worry about a heater down here in SF for the seahorse tank....keeping it in the low 70's is always a fight. But as you say, I'll have to keep a closer eye on it if I manage to swing the purchase of a real chiller rather than the ice probe.
Here's a question: I can tell from the size that I'll be able to fit in in the cabinet next to the ATO container, but....how much room do I need around the unit for air flow? Will it be safe to keep it in a three-sided cabinet if the cabin is fully open in the back? My guess would be if the air intake is in the front of the chiller, then I should face it backwards so it's more open for airflow, yes?
...After all the work I did for the new storage cabinet and stand, I know my darling boss is NOT going to entertain the idea of having a piece of equipment visible outside the cabinet. ;-)
LOL...An open back is plenty of air. The whole unit is 14 L X 9.5 W X 16 T...It has a digital temp reader right in front on the unit, not what you set it at but the actual temp of your tank. It shows for a moment when you set it, what you set it at, then it keeps track and when it goes 1 degree higher than it should be, the unit kicks on. Besides, you have the little cabinet on the side...what a perfect place for it.

S

saxman

Most chillers recommend at least a foot in front and two feet behind for optimal airflow. If there's no airflow across the heat exchanger, the chiller can't get rid of the heat it removes from the water.
That being said, I'd say the most important part is making sure the heat can be removed out the backside of the stand. Otherwise, you're going to end up trying to cool the exchanger coils with hot air, and you won't pull the tank down very well.

meowzer

The filter is in the front......I did not keep it in the cabinet....BUT the cabinet on the 28G cube was kinda a tight fit