Is a clown a bad idea in a reef tank?

hallzy

I have a perc clown in my 30 gallon, but the tank itself is kind of my secondary tank, its in my bedroom so it doesn't get as much attention as my 65 gallon reef which is in my living room. I like this lil clown tho, and contemplated moving him to my reef. But I have also heard that clowns can sometimes try to host coral and irritate them. So is it a bad idea to put a clown into my reef tank? I have a very large (and expensive) aussie hammer coral that I really don't need him upsetting. Lol also a frogspawn that might entice him.

bang guy

It's very possible that the Clown will find the Hammer irresistible. If that starts happening you could remove the Clownfish.

btldreef

My female ocellaris recently killed her mate, so rather than attempting to pair her again, I decided she should be a lonely clown in my reef tank. She's had a BTA for the past 3 years, so I was fairly certain shed attempt to find a hosting coral. Of course she chose the nicest of my frogspawn/hammer/torches. I've been lucky thus far, she's not beating on it at all. She doesn't even really go into it like she would with the anemone, she just hovers over the top. At night she goes underneath.
It really depends on the fish, some are rougher than others. You'll just have to watch. Healthy corals do better.

hallzy

Thanks for the input! I think I am just going to keep the clown in the 29 gallon, maybe even add another clown and a BTA.

manners

i got my pair about 2yrs ago they where tiny and have never tried to host. they are bread in captivity so i dont think they have a clue... i held a pic of a lion fish up to the tank and they both darted for my bubble and went right in side so there instinct is there but only if they are scared, they wont host for fun tho (unless you count the "mag-float" they sleep beside at the top of the tank)

al&burke

I have a 65 and a 40B reef tanks - in the 65 I have two Osc clowns - their home is a hammer coral, they are pretty good to it I suspect that this pair is starting to spawn. In the 40B I just added a pair of small Osc. they have taken to a large leather coral, there is a hammer in there as well but they seem to like the leather better. Theleather is huge almost diner plate size.