Is it ok to top off with Distilled Water?

meemmoo

I am a bit confused, is it ok to top off with distilled water vs. RO and do you need to do something special to it before adding it to your tank? Sorry the more I read the more ?'s I have.

viziouskat

I asked the same question to my lfs yesterday. The guy that I deal with said that it's better to have RO WATER because it's all pure, nothing is added and it's best for your aquarium. He said that Distille water has some additives. I did a water change yesterday with RO and my fishes look happy. I used to use Distille, but since I asked my lfs, I'm sticking with RO from now on.

ophiura

On the contrary distilled water does not have stuff added to it. It is so pure that it is detrimental when used alone - for example, one of the worst things to do with those Bettas is put them in distilled water, which is what people are sometimes told to do :mad: However, if you are adding it to a saltwater tank...or are using it to mix saltwater...you are adding ions and things back to it so it is not longer an issue.

reefnut

I'll third the use of distilled water... I used it for a long time before getting a RO/DI. Both work fine...

fishphreak

I heard that distilled water can contain copper. That sometimes copper pipes are used in the water making process. Is there any truth to that? Just curious.
Jessica

jester805

I use distilled for my 75 and everything's been fine. I even bought around 70 jugs of it from WalMart to fill my tank.