Is it possible to glue stuff under water?

I'm running out of places to put frags where I can just set them in and they stay. I know you can use regular super glue to glue stuff but that only works out of water. Problem is I want to glue some frags to big rocks that I can't take out of my tank? Is there any way to do this?

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3125474
yea use eproxy
Ok and that will bond a frag to a rock forever? And I can just spread it on the rock under water and place my frag? I thought that was used more as a sealant. Is there any specific one to buy?
Thanks for the quick reply!

Ok just bought some that says can be done underwater...hopefully it works, when I tried the coral "glue" I was not able to glue stuff underwater.

d-man

there is a coral glue, it's like super glue but it's saltwater activated. What you do is put some on your frag then dip it in the water so the glue makes a bubble with wet glue on the inside, repeat if you need more glue than you can apply in one drop. After you have a good bubble you can put the frag where you want it and lightly rub the frag around a little bit to brake the surface of the bubble and after a sec the glue will stick.

meowzer

Originally Posted by d-man
http:///forum/post/3125482
there is a coral glue, it's like super glue but it's saltwater activated. What you do is put some on your frag then dip it in the water so the glue makes a bubble with wet glue on the inside, repeat if you need more glue than you can apply in one drop. After you have a good bubble you can put the frag where you want it and lightly rub the frag around a little bit to brake the surface of the bubble and after a sec the glue will stick.
Do you have a name? I use Hold Fast Marine epoxy...sometimes it works great......somtimes it doesnt

and sometimes after a couple of months the stuff will just fall off

J

jetskiking

I use superglue or epoxy depending on what I'm attaching. I use regular superglue underwater all the time.

jackri

It's not easy to use super glue underwater but the super glue gel works a little better -- gop it on.
The two part epoxy works as well... but not as easy as you'd think. It doesn't stick to live rock that great unless you smear it in really good but they both work with a little effort.

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3125503
It's not easy to use super glue underwater but the super glue gel works a little better -- gop it on.
The two part epoxy works as well... but not as easy as you'd think. It doesn't stick to live rock that great unless you smear it in really good but they both work with a little effort.
Yep, I forgot to mention I use gel superglue. You just have to be quick.

nigerbang

Most of the time around here you can pick up a 3 pack of super glue gel from the Dollar Store for about $1

Maybe it's because my super glue was not gel? Well I will try that and some epoxy. The regular super glue would harden INSTANTLY.

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by reefaholic33
http:///forum/post/3125974
Maybe it's because my super glue was not gel? Well I will try that and some epoxy. The regular super glue would harden INSTANTLY.
You will see the gel turn white when it hits the water but it stays gooey for a minute

d-man

it's about making a hard shell around the still soft glue, then braking the shell in a way that the inside sticky glue in the right spot.

big

Here is what over time I have found works the best..........
After having expensive frags magically disappear
somewhere down in the rocks, thanks to large
snails and the what not. This is what has works
the best for me is this with experimentation over
time.
Take your gel and apply a good gob of it to the
rock where you want to attach the frag. It will
almost instantly develop a white film. Work or
press the glue into the rock so as later when it
is set up the gel has embedded itself into the
rock. Them quickly before allowing too much set up
time apply a second gob to the frag or frag rock
if it attached to one. Them press and hold for a
bit the two glued surfaces together in the
tank...........
The advantage is the glue to glue adherence is a
much stronger bond. The glue on the frag sticks to
it better because you have applied it in the air
and the glue on the rock stays in pace better
because it is imbedded better......
It may take a bit more glue, but it sure beats
waking up the next day to look at your great new
frag and it isn't anywhere to be found.
I have used the brand name glues, but have found
the little tubes that are 2 for a dollar at the
Dollar Store are easier to work with.. And a heck
of a lot cheaper too........ One hint that any
good model builder knows too is always refrigerate
any Super Glue for longer "shelf life" after
buying....... Top professional Model Builders will
only buy the stuff out of refrigerated storage...
But our demands are not quite that high
here...............Good Luck..........

Well I succesfully glued a bunch of frags! Got the cheap GEL super glue.
I found the key is exactly what Big ^ said. The key is to get glue to glue contact. I placed a heavy amount on to the bottom of the frag and then dipped it in the water. Then re-applied heavily and quickly stuck the frag and held in place. After a couple minutes I could not pull it off!
Thanks to everyone