Is it silly to cry over a lost fish?

K

kikithemermaid

Because my flametail blenny, J.P., died and he was my very favorite fish in my tank.

R

rcreations

I personally wouldn't cry over a fish, after all it is a FISH. I may feel sad if a fish dies but I doubt I could cry over it.

U

usirchchris

I get frustrated trying to figure out the cause of death, but no emotion beyond that. It would have to have a TON of personality to get that attached IMO. They look and act relatively similar IMO so replacement is not hard. Not to say that you should not have cried. I am sorry for your loss.

nw2salt08

I understand. I get really attached to my fish too. Mine all have names. lol My faves are my clowns....but they all have their own personalities. I cry when I lose a fish. Kinda hard not to when you're so involved in the hobby.

oceanlover

Its OK to cry if you lose something you treasure. It helps you heal.
I'm sorry you lost your favorite fish.
Unfortunately, most pets have shorter life spans than humans.

deejeff442

i havnt lost a fish in so long i cant remember.
i just went from a 90 gallon to a 150 and i am so paranoid to add a fish.
i dont want to find out what i would do, i have had mine so long.
sorry about your loss.

unleashed

Originally Posted by kikithemermaid
http:///forum/post/2859408
Because my flametail blenny, J.P., died and he was my very favorite fish in my tank.

well if your a man it might be a tad silly on the unexpected view of it (but you can pout we expect that lol) ,but if your female I wouldn't say its silly..being female myself,
i remember when my fav puffer (puffy)passed away i had him for 4 yrs he was like a puppy dog with so much personality.the saddest part is he died on valentines day
... i dint have the heart to just throw him away and he was wayyyy to big to flush at 13 inches he wasnt going down any of my drains.. so i wrapped him in wax paper placed him in a few large freezer bags where he spent the next 3 yrs in my freezer ..that poor frozen fish moved with me 2 times before he got his final resting place ...

so no its not silly IMHO to cry if you lose something you love deeply even if it is a fish

mboswell1982

he wasnt a fish, but when i had to put my australian shepherd down one night, had to do it mysef, i bawled for hours afterwards, and i didnt even cry when my grandmother died, if that tells you anything, and then, thsi happened on a friday night, the following monday, i quit my job and went to colorado for 4 months, i was animal control at the time, and i just couldnt do it anymore after having to put my aussie down

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2860428
he wasnt a fish, but when i had to put my australian shepherd down one night, had to do it mysef, i bawled for hours afterwards, and i didnt even cry when my grandmother died, if that tells you anything, and then, thsi happened on a friday night, the following monday, i quit my job and went to colorado for 4 months, i was animal control at the time, and i just couldnt do it anymore after having to put my aussie down

There is no way I could keep my composure to put one of my own dogs down. That would probably be the hardest thing I would ever do in my life if I did. Sad story, don't tell it often...I want my dogs to live forever, and don't like to be reminded of an alternative ending...I am very sorry this is something you had to go through.

mboswell1982

he got his back broke by a cow in my front pasture, and it happened around midnight, an i couldnt get the vet on the phone, so, i had to do it myself, and yes, it was THE single most hardest thing i have ever had to do, even harder than asking jess's dad if i could marry his daughter LOL

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2860481
he got his back broke by a cow in my front pasture, and it happened around midnight, an i couldnt get the vet on the phone, so, i had to do it myself, and yes, it was THE single most hardest thing i have ever had to do, even harder than asking jess's dad if i could marry his daughter LOL
Bet that cow was good eatin'

mboswell1982

lol i couldnt blame her, she had just had a calf, an he got to close, the number one rule when messin with cows is never, EVER get between a momma an her baby, she'll flatten you in a heartbeat, i know from experience, so trust me on this one LOL

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2860496
lol i couldnt blame her, she had just had a calf, an he got to close, the number one rule when messin with cows is never, EVER get between a momma an her baby, she'll flatten you in a heartbeat, i know from experience, so trust me on this one LOL
Yeah...Hmm...nope, I woulda' ate that cow

mboswell1982

lol nah, baby couldnt of survived on its own, otherwise, i mighta been tempted LOL i havent had a dog of my own since though, so im really really lookin forward to getting my healer when we get our own place, buy one that is, i wont get a healer in a rental LOL not with 3 pits already in there with us

mboswell1982

LOL what im really lookin forward to is my cross breeds, but, its gonna take a minimum of 4 years, more than likely 6-10 years, to get the crosses i want up an runnin LOL

Hello, very sorry for your loss. Yesterday I noticed my mystery wrasse was mia. I found him on the floor behind the tank. I can understand where you're coming from.

unleashed

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/2860415
3 years in the freezer??? Thats just weeeeeiiirrd LOL
lmao thats what my husband said too..but if you think about the logical aspect of it it made more sense to me at the time.. when is puffer poisonous ? when you eat them! animals get into garbage such as coons cats dogs etc ...I didnt want my favorite fish to be the cause of some animals death even if it was in my garbage can or the local dump..