Is it too early for a drink?

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/2729902
i totally relate to young children being like puppies. once in a while you have to let them know who the dominant person in the home is and it seems like if you don't catch them in the act and whack their nose with a newspaper they just don't get it.....lol
How about water in a spray bottle... cats hate that

hlcroghan

Actually...... and don't flame me for this...lol....my bf's daughter is disabled so she throws these horrible fits sometimes where she will start screaming and won't stop til she's exhausted.The only way we found to stop her immediately without spanking her or something that hurts her(which we don't want to do because she doesn't understand) is by misting her with cold water. LOL It kind of shocks her and she starts laughing. Brings her out of her moods....lol. I guess she is really a cat.

alyssia

Originally Posted by hlcroghan
http:///forum/post/2730070
Actually...... and don't flame me for this...lol....my bf's daughter is disabled so she throws these horrible fits sometimes where she will start screaming and won't stop til she's exhausted.The only way we found to stop her immediately without spanking her or something that hurts her(which we don't want to do because she doesn't understand) is by misting her with cold water. LOL It kind of shocks her and she starts laughing. Brings her out of her moods....lol. I guess she is really a cat.
My pediatrician actually recommended that for my son was he was 3 o4 and very high maintenance. It startled him and made him stop what he was doing.
It's never too early for a drink when you have kids.

m0nk

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2729127
Child rearing 101 by Dr. Grouper:
Spiderwoman...a good stiff libation from time to time is theraputic, and should be administered at times of undue stress.
Scotts...hit the nail on the head. You will be the hero and should be ready to absorb ALL the stories of the day and be supportive. I.E.....allways better with Mom and Dad.
Tizzo....like you need a reason to get all liquored up.

dogfaceman....chill and learn to capitalize.

Aquaknight...good to see you understand the rules.

Cowfishrule...AWSOME taste in Vodka my friend.

El Guapo...who the heck do you think your kidding???

Summary;
Love them younguns.
Monk...never take "no" as an answer. Kids need to understand that they are just that...kids. Doesn't mean you have to beat them (though sometimes necessary) but allthough it sounds crude....it's almost like raising Dogs or any other pet/animal. They truly need to understand and respect who is the Alpha individual. Words with conviction and consistency can do wonders.
Werd. I've learned the beauty of time-outs because it's the only punishment that I can give that he really doesn't like. I won't take "no" from him, and he knows it now.

spiderwoman

Timeouts are big in our house too and most of the time all I need to ask either one of the girls is *who wants to go to timeout?*
Normally I get the answer from one or the other, pointing each other... *sissy* or *mommy, you go!*

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2731006
Timeouts are big in our house too and most of the time all I need to ask either one of the girls is *who wants to go to timeout?*
Normally I get the answer from one or the other, pointing each other... *sissy* or *mommy, you go!*

hell, when you ask "sean, do you want to go to time out?", sometimes if he knows he's in trouble, he'll say yes, go get his chair put it in the spot, sit down, and give a heavy sigh.

nwdyr

I am 45yrs old , I think my gram started "time outs" I remember being like 5yr old and when we were bad we had to sit in the "no no chair" couldn't talk or watch t.v....just sit in the "no no chair" that was 1969-70 so yep I think she started it,,,it worked for us
My mom on the other hand believed in the good old fashioned BEAT DOWN!!!! Mom is 70 now and 4ft 11inch and I am still afraid of her
Good old fashioned Italian up bringing.....I don't suggest any of it

alyssia

Time outs do nothing for my kids. All it does is give them time to think about what they're gonna do next.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2731011
My mom on the other hand believed in the good old fashioned BEAT DOWN!!!!
funny you mention that. when i was growing up, we had time outs, but i remember them not being as effective as a hand to the ass. "lets see, if i do this again, moms gonna whoop my ass. i dont like that, thus i wont do it" was most of my mentality growing up.
i vowed to not be a hitter, although i am all for it. having a 3 yr old myself, i use words as effectively and loudly (at times) as possible, along with time outs, but i always have an open palm cocked and loaded, just incase i need it. (reserved for extra-dangerous situations, of course).

spiderwoman

I got whopped once when I was 5 and it was with a jumping rope on bare bottom. I remember that still very clearly and it worked very well. Then again my parents were not into physical discipline. My punishment was for throwing mud on neighbors laundry that was hanging out and i had been told not to do that.
I'm big on using words and the tone of my voice. I'm also known to give the killer look
All of this has worked on our twins very well. I'm a Nascar widow most of the year so I have to find ways to raise our twins by myself. Hubby has named my raising methods *the N .a.z.i camp*. I don't take no for an answer and I take prisoners

m0nk

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2731053
funny you mention that. when i was growing up, we had time outs, but i remember them not being as effective as a hand to the ass. "lets see, if i do this again, moms gonna whoop my ass. i dont like that, thus i wont do it" was most of my mentality growing up.
i vowed to not be a hitter, although i am all for it. having a 3 yr old myself, i use words as effectively and loudly (at times) as possible, along with time outs, but i always have an open palm cocked and loaded, just incase i need it. (reserved for extra-dangerous situations, of course).
Yeah, I vowed the same thing but a swift smack on the butt sure helps stop those things that absolutely need stopped at that exact moment. Otherwise, I don't use it.