Is it true that..

nauti2001

is it true that brittle star fish will eat your corals?? I saw it on a website and also while in Jamaica a few weeks ago someone told me that is why the coral reef is not thriving.. let me know what you think so I can leave him or get rid of him.. matt

nauti2001

cool.. thanks.. I have had him in there for about a year. and never noticed anything bad about it.. so I guess I will keep it..

sultros

There is a star fish causing problems but I cant remember its name. Its like a giant chocolate chip star and muches on corals.
A friend saw one in Jam. a few weeks ago on a tour. Thing was MASSIVE

kelly

I have heard about Crown-of-thorns starfish causing great damage, but I am currently unaware of any others... (I don't keep up on the subject, so there may be others.)
Kelly

mary

My brittle star got large enough to wrap its tentacles around a new baby Luther goby, twice, and I removed the goby, took it back to LFS. They were kind enough to put it into a seven gallon tank and awaited the brittle star to be brought in. They do not injure or eat corals, Just weakened and maybe not even weakened fish which are small enough. The goby was very active two days after the fact in the seven gallon.
As to the reasons the earths reefs are in jeopardy are numerous;: from the dusts carrying molds from the African farm lands{their wild animal areas are being turned into farmlands due to the ever increasing need to feed their people} to a rise in the earths temperature to pollutants directly put there by mankind, and there are many more reasons, basically we are to blame for the damage of much of it. Global warming is not a myth. I think of all the lotions to prevent sunburn and incur suntanning. Think what millions of bottles of that goes into the oceans every year. Just keep thinking and you will be very saddened. Maybe some one with more knowledge than me will write in something positive that is benefitting the reef systems worldwide! Vote wisely!!!!