Is My BTA splitting

krazekajin

I have a BTA that has grown to over 8inches across. I noticed that for the last couple of days that it has not inflated fully. It is still firmly attached to the rock and it is not droopy, it is just not as full. But today I noticed that it looked very differently.
I think it looks like it may be splitting. Do you think that is true. Is it okay? here are my paremeters as a couple of days ago.
Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia - all 0
ph 8.1 (a little low)
SG - 1.023.
Tell me what you think.

T

thomas712

Maybe, but from my experinece they really only do the splitting thing at night, in the dark, when they know your not watching.

krazekajin

Well, I first noticed it when I got to my office. I have my tank at my church where I am the Youth Pastor. Thus, I get to see my tank for at least six hours every day except sometimes saturday. But When i got to my office this morning, my tank was dark. I have been looking.
Is it okay when an anemone splits. I have heard that this is because they are stressed. I don't think my anemone is stressed, I have not touched it or done anything to it.

revroy

Hi KrazeKajin,
Don't know about your anemone, I have a Green BTA as well but it hasn't split. But just wanted to say hi to a fellow minister with a tank in the office. I'm a Children's Pastor In Nashville and have my 50 gal tank for about 6 moths or so now. I have two clowns, a coral beauty, a coral banded shrimp, a purple phycromis, and my BTA, as well as the rock and snails, oh and a small hermit. The kids love to come into my office to see "Nemo'. Well I guess i'm just ramblin now. Hope your BTA is ok.
Rev Roy.

krazekajin

RevRoy,
Thanks. It all started with some goldfish from a banquet in a 10 gallon. Now I have a 29gallon reef that has been set up since Oct 2005. I have a maroon clown with a BTA. This made me happy, but others sad, because my youth wanted a nemo. I also have a 6gallon nano that has been up for a little over a month.
My youth are always in my office seeing my new tank mates.
I am convinced that my BTA is splitting and then I will have two. See God multiples.

krazekajin

I have some more pics of this anemone splitting thing. There are two seperate anemones, yet they are connected by a very thin flap of skin.
I am going to test my water. What paremeters should I test for other than
ammonia
nitrate
nitrite
calcium
what others?
My only hope right now is that the anemone is still very firmly attached. I had a sebea under 65w of PC and I watched it die, because I did not know what I was doing then. As it was dieing it would not attach to anything. But this BTA is under 175w of MH and 130w of PC. My tank is a 29gallon.
I am hoping that the bottom anemone half is just deflated because it is exchanging water. But it has been splitting since Late Saturday night.

T

thomas712

I've never heard of it taking so long to do, mine always do it over night. I turn the lights off on one anemone and then there are two by morning. Or in my case 30+

krazekajin

Thomas,
I understand what you are saying, so I am just plain confused. If you look at this picture you will see two anemones that have two seperate feet but they are connected by a very thin flap of skin. Perhaps I have siamese twin anemones.
My SG was 1.022 but over the course of the last day and a half, I have gotten it to 1.025.
What other water paremeters might affect my anemone. my PH is 8.1. My ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, all 0.
What should I test for or look for.
My concern is that the anemone has not really blossomed. When it was one the crown of the anemone would blossom out to about 8 inches across. the tenticles would extend over two inches. Now they extend about an inch to an inch and a half, but the tenticles are not as fat as they once were.

krazekajin

I am just sitting here at my desk and I keep an eye on my splitting or dying anemone.
Here are some more pics that show a wound? at the flap of skin.
Help me please.

javatech

when mine was spliting it looked like that for a few days so all i did was to snip it and the next day it was doing fine

dzekunoi

Hi,
Looks like it has troubles to me... Post your questions on reefcentral.com too - many people surf there, somebody might know the answer.
Hope it will be OK!

T

thomas712

I guess I'd say let natrue take its course without interference.

krazekajin

thanks thomas, I think that is what I am going to do. i will keep everyone posted with pics as things occur, just for science and knowledge sake.

krazekajin

I am a little nervous because I can see what I think are his guts. But, as of yesterday, no ammonia, nitrates.

krazekajin

I think it might be done for. I am seeing at least one small hole, like a moth eats clothes, in the streached out part.