is my coral dying?

annaflowerpower

I've been spot feeding my bubble tip and it was looking great until I did a water change and he knocked over. I placed him back and he's closed up. My water levels are good what should I do?!?!?!

bang guy

First - That looks like a Frogspawn Coral to me, definitely not a Bubble-Tip Anemone.
If the coral was healthy when it tipped over it will heal and be good as new in a few days.

flower

Hi,
+1 bang Guy
I just wanted to add this...To help us help you in the future, when you ask for help, tell us your exact water test results, those actual numbers are important. Telling us all your levels are good, doesn't help us to help you. If you post those number straight up, you save time because then we don't ask you to post them. On this particular thread it turned out to not be needed, but as a general rule it is.
It does look like it is a very healthy (pretty) frog spawn, who told you it was a bubble tip anemone?

tthemadd1

What kind of lights do you have on your tank? How long have you had it?
May want to get some super glue gel. Glue it to the rock. Or wedge it between a few rocks to keep it from falling over. Just make sure the rocks don't run on the living tissue at the base. That will irritate the coral

annaflowerpower

Yes I guess you're right. LFS cant be trusted.
And sorry next time I will give all specs.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2-3
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.023

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaflowerpower http:///t/396268/is-my-coral-dying#post_3530200
Yes I guess you're right. LFS cant be trusted.
And sorry next time I will give all specs.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2-3
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.023
Hi...much better...your tests are reading good, but you need more info for keeping corals happy. Had you of not posted your test results just now, we wouldn't know to tell you that.
Since you are keeping corals it's time to add to your regular SW tests. You need to test Calcium, and Phosphates at the very least. Some test for silica and magnesium, but I purchased those tests and used it maybe twice...Phosphates (AKA PO4) however, really affects corals...and not in a good way, sadly it's in everything, even the food, it needs to be at 0 or at least below 1, it's a perpetual battle, so we test for it and do everything we can to keep a nice 0 reading.
The calcium needs to always be around 400 to 500ppm so coralline algae (pretty purple on the rocks) can grow. The inverts use it for their skeletons and shells, the SPS and LPS corals need it for their skeleton as well. Your frog spawn (LOL...bubble tip anemone..) is an LPS coral, it's skeleton is the little hard branches that the bubbles poke out of.
Never dose until you have tested for it, and it's indicated that you need to
. Most times regular water changes will keep things in order, but as you add more coral, dosing will be needed, and the only way to know when and how much, will be by testing.

I'd probably just give the coral time. Make sure it's not in too high of flow. When I first added my frogspawn to the tank, it looked like that, and took several days for it to fully open. But if it looked fine before the fall, it's probably just readjusting now. Some of my corals kinda of sulk for a while if I move them.
I would probably keep an eye on it though until it got back to normal. You have to be careful not to damage the flesh on corals in that family, b/c they are susceptible to brown jelly disease. I'd try to find a way to make sure it was secure to minimize the chances of it falling again.