Is Scarlet Coral Illegal?

raseri

Basicly what the title asks. Is Massive Scarlet Coral, or just Scarlet Coral illegal to have?

raseri

The reason why I ask is because our friend gave us his tank and in the tank was a bunch of live rock with some scarlet coral on them. So we did some research and found out that these can come from the caribians and that they might be illigal to have in our tank. So if anyone knows anything it would be a great help. :/

flower

Originally Posted by Raseri
http:///forum/post/3257786
The reason why I ask is because our friend gave us his tank and in the tank was a bunch of live rock with some scarlet coral on them. So we did some research and found out that these can come from the caribians and that they might be illigal to have in our tank. So if anyone knows anything it would be a great help. :/

What is scarlet coral?

spanko

Probably talking about Massive Starlet Coral Siderastrea siderea. I would think not illegal to have depending on how, who, where collected. Don't think I would worry about it.
It could also be a Porites sp.
as they look about the same.

aquaknight

I know what Massive Scarlet coral is -- Siderastrea siderea, but don't know/can't find anything on 'scarlet coral.'
As far as I'm aware, elkhorn coral (Acropora palmata) and staghorn coral (Acropora cervicornis), are the only corals on the Endangered Species act. Even then, owning the coral would not be illegal, buying/selling it would be. Siderastrea siderea
is protected in certain areas. If the coral was collected in non-protected waters, it should be fine. Or in your case, if the coral grew on live rock that was harvest, it's fine as well.

raseri

Alright. Thanks. :) We were just a bit worried. We wanted to post pics of our tank, but if we had illegal corals in there we wanted to know and not get in trouble and such. :p

rlablan

I think even if you have illegal things... Not that it is right, but there is no such thing as the coral police. lol there are some people on here... *clears throat* that have some *cough cough* things that maybe they shouldn't have... *cough cough*One fruit in particular that I know of.