Is Tap Water Bad?

cjf48043

I have read in a few places that using tap water in a Saltwater tank is not preferred. I was wondering if there was any truth to this and if so, is there a good technique for filtering it before using it for water changes etc.. or should it just not be used at all?

elfdoctors

You will get many opinions about the topic. The answer really depends on the quality of your tapwater. If you have very soft water (or if the primary dissolved minerals are calcium carbonates) you can probably get away with it.
If there are dissolved solids in your water source whatever chemicals are in there will be out of balance when compared to natural seawater. The lifeforms we are trying to grow have adapted to very specific physical conditions and will do the best if conditions are optimal. You are also more likely to get overgrowths of nuisance algae if your tapwater has phosphates or iron in it.
The best option would be to look into getting a RO/DI unit to use as a water source for all water put into your tank. Any other smaller filters will still allow dissolved solids through.
Welcome to the Boards.

beaslbob

Originally posted by cjf48043
I have read in a few places that using tap water in a Saltwater tank is not preferred. I was wondering if there was any truth to this and if so, is there a good technique for filtering it before using it for water changes etc.. or should it just not be used at all?

Minority report here: definately true to FO tanks and highly controversial for reef tanks:
Tap water contains calcium carbonate, plant food, and very small amounts of other elements and heavy ions, and clorine. Calcium carbonate buffers our systems, plant food makes the plant life grow faster and stronger, the other elements and heavy ions are easily filtered out by the plant life, the clorine dissapates very rapidily. So by using tap water and establishing an active plant life, you can keep any FW or salt system.
By using RO/DI or other "stripped" water you will need to dose the elements (calcium carbonate). So I use tap water and have since the late 70's. With an active plant growth, I only replace the water that evaporates.

bang guy

Following are the results reported by one of the members of the board that has always used tap water. You make the call...
Originally posted by beaslbob
I had similiar problems with fish getting white sports and slowly deterioriating with heavy breathing then finally dieing.

fish died and decomposed for 4 days

Especially the finger which is now gone.

The wound never healed and the madrin only lasted a week longer.

Bang

E

essop3

My 5 stage RO/DI was only $120. With so much money put into your tank it's worth it to spend that much more.

koolkev

I'm going to need some people to back me up on this!!! My friend used tap water and when he did he add tons and tons of diatoms, and they still are there! Eventually they will die off, but I know he had more than most people!
A lot of people would tell you that you pay for what you get! RO water probabally is the best because of the fact that it does cost more, coming from that fact. I'm going to use RO water, but beaslebob uses tap water for his tank and his tank is awesome!

Kevin
aka koolkev

dburr

beaslebob uses tap water for his tank and his tank is awesome!
If you think this is awesome, your tank~your choise.

beaslbob

Originally posted by koolkev
I'm going to need some people to back me up on this!!! My friend used tap water and when he did he add tons and tons of diatoms, and they still are there! Eventually they will die off, but I know he had more than most people!
A lot of people would tell you that you pay for what you get! RO water probabally is the best because of the fact that it does cost more, coming from that fact. I'm going to use RO water, but beaslebob uses tap water for his tank and his tank is awesome!

Kevin
aka koolkev

thanks kevin.
your friend has brown algae/diatoms because his tank has phosphates and other nutrients that feed those. After any livestock including lr is introduced those nutrients come overwhelming from the bioload not the input water. All your friend had to do was add plant life he likes and the entire brown algae/diatom would have been avoided. Plus after adding livestock, the ugly hair algaes will arrive with or without tap. Only other forms of plant life can prevent that.
BTW the only
differences in the above pictures is 1) picure background 2) color of the rocks 3)presence of plant life in the display. And mine is better :D

bdhough

Corals are not plants they are animals and they don't need plant food from tap water. They need meat sources. Ever notice a coral expeling its dead symbiotic plant life which becomes food for other organisms? Your typical reef keeper does not keep plants in their main system as well, so why use tap? If chlorine evaporates after a while cool enough but why risk it to save a whole dollar or two? If you're going to keep this stuff you should have every obligation to keep it alive to the best of your ability. That includes not using tap water. Never mind the other crap that may be in the tap water.
Moral of the story save yourself a headache and go buy some RO water from a fish store. Keep in mind the fish store cannot exist without RO water. Why don't they use tap eh???

schneidts

Tap water is bad...mmmkay. I live in Binghamton,N.Y.; the front page of the paper the last few days has been plastered with the uncertainty of our local drinking waters due to industrial wastes from the '70's. We are supposed to have one of the best water treatment centers in the U.S.(they've spent millions in the last few years upgrading it...I visited it with my college bio class a couple years ago, and it's impressive). My point: why take the risk, when ro water is 30 cents a gallon, and why ignore the proven results from people who have been doing it for years?

dburr

BTW the only differences in the above pictures is 1) picure background 2) color of the rocks 3)presence of plant life in the display. And mine is better
OK Bob, lets be fair. Here is my tank full of macro. Yep, yours is better.:D

bang guy

BTW the only
differences in the above pictures is 1) picure background 2) color of the rocks 3)presence of plant life in the display. And mine is better :D

and 4) your stuff died and the stuff from the other tank is still thriving.

beckzilla

beaslbob, i can get you the names of a few good eye doctors if you think your tank is better looking. Maybe a few head shrinks too would be appropriate.

clint_reno

rather endless. I posted on this issue several times for one main reason - I had better luck not using tap water.
But there are posters who have had luck with tap. Can we deny them the sucess of their tanks?
I would only suggest in the fairness of all the newbies just starting out, go with a safe, distilled water until you can get your tap tested.
You need to understand water chemistry to have success in this hobby.
:yes:

broomer5

My tap water is not the best here. I've tested it, and it's tested positive for nitrate and phosphate.
I can't possibly test it for everything else that it may contain either - so I use RO/DI water.
I still can't test the RO/DI water for everything else, but I can test for total dissolved solids, conductivity/resistivity and do my best to maintain the RO membrane, DI cartridge and other prefilter elements.
This gives me the feeling of control.
This in my mind gives me "more" control over the possibility of unknowns entering my tankwater.
Otherwise - if I use tapwater for all saltmixing and top offs - I lose some control.
Controlling what goes in to the tankwater from the beginning is easier for me than trying to fix things afterwards.
Others may disagree and have different experiences.
You'll have to decide on your own - from your own experiences too.
I can't say if "your" tapwater is good or bad.