Is there a doctor in the house?

lovethesea

Originally Posted by ophiura
This is a very bad "something" going around that results in an INSANELY sore throat (I lost my voice...and this was symptom numero uno). I also ended up with a severe ear infection at the same time (so, YES, I was prescribed antibiotics).

DITTO.........I pity anyone that gets this beast. I usually don't get hit too hard with stuff. This thing knocked me down like a house of cards. NOT the flu for me, just horrible respitory thing.
And talk about SINUS P R E S S U R E !!!
Where does all that stuff come from
:scared:

ice4ice

To help with sore throats, I like to put honey in my tea. It really works wonders and soothes your throat.

catawaba

Originally Posted by Oceanists
hmmmmm awfull balsy to debate with a 4th year medical student.
Flu most often turns into a bacterial Sinus infection which left unattended long enough can spread to the brain killing the patient. Something an Antibiotic will take care of. Which is why I advised to see his PCP.
Never said their is a antibiotic FOR thge flu. 95% of the time the fluy turns into Bacterial upper respitory infection or sinus infection.
while a cold 99.6 percent of the time stays as a cold. --- information gathered by Cal Berkeley

Well, when you get through residency, let me know. I graduated in 1991.
Your making a LOT of leaps.

catawaba

sounds good to me .... used for infections, any pain killer .... in not the best aid in sore throat is Liquid Tylanol
Again, disagree. Try room temperature, non-acidic, non-carbonated, non-dairy beverages.
If needed, a local anesthetic like Cepastat, Chloraseptic, etc is just fine.
Oh, and it's TylEnol. The cephalexin is empiric 'better give them something' therapy. Won't make any difference in resolution of symptoms.

oceanists

Originally Posted by Catawaba
Again, disagree. Try room temperature, non-acidic, non-carbonated, non-dairy beverages.
If needed, a local anesthetic like Cepastat, Chloraseptic, etc is just fine.
Oh, and it's TylEnol. The cephalexin is empiric 'better give them something' therapy. Won't make any difference in resolution of symptoms.
Yeah you tend to get a much different case when your dealing with a naturalist. Tell me what school did you graduate from?
And what office do you work at.
Dan please disregard this advice I have a hard time beleiving this person went to college for ANYTHING medical related. Because if she did she would have refered you to a doctor.

catawaba

Flu most often turns into a bacterial Sinus infection which left unattended long enough can spread to the brain killing the patient. Something an Antibiotic will take care of. Which is why I advised to see his PCP.
95% of the time the flu turns into Bacterial upper respitory infection or sinus infection.

WOW, there'd be a lot of dead people. What population of people are you talking about. Flu is self limiting and is a virus.
Bacterial URI = bacteria. Funny how the flu will transform into a bacteria. Knowledge in the wrong mind is dangerous. You need to look at the big picture.

catawaba

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
you go girl

Thanks Teresa.
Some people entertain me more than others.

oceanists

WOW, there'd be a lot of dead people. What population of people are you talking about. Flu is self limiting and is a virus.
Bacterial URI = bacteria. Funny how the flu will transform into a bacteria. Knowledge in the wrong mind is dangerous. You need to look at the big picture.

Flu most often CAUSES a sinus infection , and if left unattended , (just as the flu is as well), it can be deadly.
What school did you graduate from , I didnt get a answer to that, What Office do you work for? What Medical groups do you work with. You really entertain me.....
All of the advice you have givin would come from a naturalist and their is no evidence that proves that stuff works.....
Dan PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont listen to this persons advice ever.
If she were a Dr she would have givin a disclaimer to see a doctor.
Im happy that you went to the doctor and recieved the Antibiotic that you needed , I guess Miss Catawaba dissagrees with 2 "real" proffesional opinions. Being your PCP's opinion as well as mine.
Im 4th year UCSF 3rd ranked school for medicine. I also work for a Health insurance company and handle PQI issues like yours on a daily basis.

oceanists

IF LEFT UNATTENDED, and taking advice like yours. :happyfish

catawaba

IF LEFT UNATTENDED, and taking advice like yours. :happyfish

You win. I won't argue with a student.

catawaba

Flu most often CAUSES a sinus infection , and if left unattended , (just as the flu is as well), it can be deadly.
What school did you graduate from , I didnt get a answer to that, What Office do you work for? What Medical groups do you work with. You really entertain me.....
All of the advice you have givin would come from a naturalist and their is no evidence that proves that stuff works.....
Dan PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont listen to this persons advice ever.
If she were a Dr she would have givin a disclaimer to see a doctor.
Im happy that you went to the doctor and recieved the Antibiotic that you needed , I guess Miss Catawaba dissagrees with 2 "real" proffesional opinions. Being your PCP's opinion as well as mine.
Im 4th year UCSF 3rd ranked school for medicine. I also work for a Health insurance company and handle PQI issues like yours on a daily basis.
So you can belittle my education and over 20 years experience?
Your arrogance will get you in trouble in time.
I work in Hematology-Oncology.
Hope you never get the flu.

oceanists

So you can belittle my education and over 20 years experience?
Your arrogance will get you in trouble in time.
I work in Hematology-Oncology.
Hope you never get the flu.
No Im not belittling you in anyway , you disagreed with my opinion, and I disagreed with yours.
Im not arrogant. I just feel my advice was alittle more thorough.
BTW I would rather be a student almost done with school in CA, than a practicing Dr. in NM

Your attitude probably carries over with patients as well .... so where di you graduate?
.... Sorry Bang
I feel the locksmith coming

bayside

so you feel that because you live in a major city on a coast that your opinions are better than any that would not be. this is what is so annoying about our country. people who live on the coasts feel that everything they have and say are so much better than any other place in the country. we out here in the middle of nowhere are just fly over country right?
hey you all keep believing that but my mom who works at the mayo would prolly like to have a few words with you

ophiura

Ryan -
Take the doctor's advice and prescription, get lots of rest, and get better. There are many people here who can say "yeah, I had a nasty similar bug" and we all probably had differing treatment...and hopefully, nonetheless, we all got better in the end.
Medical opinions, scientific opinions, personal opinions, opinions on whether a tang can go in a 75g tank...all vary, often passionately. We don't have universal assembly line medicine in this country, thankfully, so you can find people who will help you in a variety of ways.
I really hope this discussion can get back on track.

elfdoctors

I'm a family physician with over 15 years experience. I also serve on our county's Board of Health. I haven't been very active on these boards for a while.
IMO, antibiotics should NOT have been prescribed for a non-streptococcal pharyngitis/tonsillitis. IMO, this is an indication that your doctor would rather do the convenient rather than the correct action. It can take a long time to convince people that they will get better in 48 hours with the antibiotics or in 2 days without. Too many doctors find it is easier to just prescribe. However, there is good evidence to suggest that antibiotics are much more likely to be harmful (drug allergies, antibiotic associated diarrheas, yeast infections, decreased birth control pill effectiveness, antibiotic overuse) than to have any benefit for this disease.
In addition, it is now being discussed whether strep throat even needs antibiotics. Strep usually gets better on its own in about 5 days. Antibiotics will shorten the duration of the illness if given within the first 2 (maybe 3) days. The primary reason that antibiotics were so strongly recommended in the past was to try to prevent the most feared complication of strep throat - rheumatic fever. However, the strains of strep which caused rheumatic fever have been largely eradicated. There has not been a large epidemic of Rheumatic Fever since 1980. There are other complications from strep (particularly glomerulonephritis and abscesses) but antibiotics have only a minimal role in the prevention of these. As a result, physicians who are concerned about the overuse of antibiotics are now starting to discuss NOT using antibiotics.
Such concerned physicians already have learned to not prescribe antibiotics for most cases of bronchitis (particularly under a week's duration). Most physicians are now adopting recommendations to not use antibiotics for children with ear infections (unless the child has a fever >102F). I predict that strep is next. (This assumes that the patient has been vaccinated. Vaccines now prevent the great majority of serious infections for young people). I try to follow these recommendations and only modify them for people with serious underlying diseases (particularly diabetes and poorly controlled asthma).
BTW, Influenza is one of the few bacterial infections for which antibiotics (tamiflu, relenza or amantidine) are effective to shorten the duration of the illness. However, these should primarily only be used for the sickest people.
Strep is most common in the 6-10 year age group (at which time ~50% of sore throats are strep). By the time people get to age 30, only ~15% of sore throats will be caused by strep. I usually educate my young patients' parents that if their child has a sore throat, they can call up and ask for an order for a rapid strep screen. If it is negative, they don't need to have an office call. I also strongly educate them to avoid ANY exposure to tobacco (even from clothing from parents who allegedly smoke outside).
I hope this has helped.

bellanavis

Would a nursing student do? I think its tonsoilatis, however you spell it, the white patches give it away. You might need to get them taken out. Good luck. Mods, please feel free to edit my spelling.