Is There One All-In-One Coral Food?

metweezer

I have rics, zoas, shrooms, frogspawn, xenia, kenya tree, palys, blastomusa, sun coral, etc. And then there is: marine snow, zooplankton, phytoplankton, etc. Is there one food that will take care of them all? How do you feed them, individually (with a baster), turn off the PS and filter and add to the water and let the ph's move the food around? I guess I am looking for a cheap lazy mans way of doing this.
Thanks.

fatty0981

I use rods reef. Rods is for both coral and fish. Once a week i mix a batch of dt's, Marine snow, reef chilli, cyclopeeze, and phytofeast. I target feed with those foods. I have most of the corals you have and they a doing great.

mr_x

i think variety is the best for all. i feed daily, and only feed the same food twice in 8 days(fish). when i feed my lps, i sometimes use misis, sometimes cyclo-peeze, and sometimes a mixture of finely ground stuff from the supermarket(scallops, shrimp, clams..).
i don't feed my sps anything.

metweezer

Originally Posted by fatty0981
http:///forum/post/2652392
I use rods reef. Rods is for both coral and fish. Once a week i mix a batch of dt's, Marine snow, reef chilli, cyclopeeze, and phytofeast. I target feed with those foods. I have most of the corals you have and they a doing great.
I don't know where to get DT's. Perhaps you can pm me.
Originally Posted by Mr_X

http:///forum/post/2652411
i think variety is the best for all. i feed daily, and only feed the same food twice in 8 days(fish). when i feed my lps, i sometimes use misis, sometimes cyclo-peeze, and sometimes a mixture of finely ground stuff from the supermarket(scallops, shrimp, clams..).
i don't feed my sps anything.
Do you use a baster or just shut down the PS and Filter and let the PH's do the work?

nano reefer

my LFS makes their own, it is all in one coral and fish and clam food.
cyclopeez, phyto, ultra min f, amino acids, ultra base color pellet, spirulina flake, some kind of worms for butterfy fish, garlic, and the most important part... oyster eggs.
they keep the cyclopeez and phyto in one big container, the dry stuff in another, garlic in a large container, and oyster eggs stay refrigerated. at feeding time, they mix them ll into one bucket, and add some water, then take a cup-full and pour it into each tank. so its like 4 foods pre blended, then mushed into 1.

metweezer

I have that syringe. My cyclopeeze is the freeze dried kind. Do I mix the cyclopeeze with tank water and add to the corals? I am mainly concerned with some sun corals I just received from Puerto Rico. The box was wet as the corals were not packed well and the corals cut through the plastic bags they were shipped in. The guy I bought them from said that they are hardy but they don't look too well. They haven't opened in the two days I have had them and I think they are dying. My hermits are hanging around the front one and I think they are anticipating a feast

mr_x

Originally Posted by metweezer
http:///forum/post/2655455
Day 3 and no change. Still not opening. Help

it looks as though some of them are dead, but the polyps with flesh on them are still alive.
i would soak the freeze dried stuff for a bit until it gets nice and soft. do the polyps come out wirth the lights off? even partially?
i have a couple sun polyp frags in my grow out tank and they don't open in pitch dark, or light. they seem to open in the early evening. the one in my display opend anytime it smells food, since i have it under an overhang

metweezer

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2655495
it looks as though some of them are dead, but the polyps with flesh on them are still alive.
i would soak the freeze dried stuff for a bit until it gets nice and soft. do the polyps come out wirth the lights off? even partially?
i have a couple sun polyp frags in my grow out tank and they don't open in pitch dark, or light. they seem to open in the early evening. the one in my display opend anytime it smells food, since i have it under an overhang
I have never seen them open at all. The one in front has white borders around on top of all the polyps on the frag. Very many of them look hollow.
I don't know what you mean about polyps with flesh
Are these the ones that are not hollow? By feeding the live ones what will happen to the dead ones? Should I remove what you consider dead?

chilwil84

shoot a small amount of mysis at them closed up and watch them for a few minutes to see if they start to react and open up. my lps like blastos react to the same thing. once they open up feed them someting like cyclobreeze or larger real slowly with the syringe trying to get each polop some

mr_x

from what i can see from the pics, the orange polyps, look alive. the green ones(covered with algae?) look dead. the skeleton of the coral is white, so if there is orange covering it, that's living flesh. anytime there is living flesh, there is a chance.
if the polyps haven't opened to eat at all in 4 or more days, i would be worried.

notsonoob

I agree. Mine open up when the sun goes down unrelated to my lights. The also pop out if I feed the tank.
I usually spot feed them with a turkey baster with either cyclopeez or mysis.
I notice that they stay tightly in the pods when they are stressed. One time when my pump inlet filter (since then remove) was clogged and wasn't moving much water, and when I changed my lights form my back up PC's back to my MH's without compensating.

T

tizzo

Met, I have posted about this before.
Once a corals health has deteriorated to a certain point, it's feeders no longer come out and when they do, they are not at all sticky.
What you should do is...
Buy some frozen cyclop eeze. Thaw a bit in a bowl of tank water.
Take the corals OUT of the tank and put them in a bowl of tank water. No current, no movement, no nothing.
Use the syring Mr X posted a pic of and put the CE on it's oral cavity. It's mouth will open and the food will fall in. If you do this every other day for 3 days I guarentee you, you will see the feeders come out at night.

Lemme find you the link where I first talked about this...

candycane

I think most corals and filter feeding inverts have the ability to take in anywhere from 2-250 um or micron sized particles. I could be wrong though. I just mix 3 Tablespoons Coral Frenzy with 5 Tablespoons Cylcop-Eeze, stick it in a salad dressing bottle with tank water in it for 3 days (so it sinks), and then dump it into an ice cube tray - after I have shaken it once a day for three days. I add about 1 cube per 50 gallons of water usually nightly or bi-nightly about 2 hours after my tank lights go off.

metweezer

Tiz,
I don't have the frozen cyclopeeze, I have the freeze dried. It's like powder. I'll try mixing that in a bowl of tank water. I hope it works. I'll keep you posted.
Tks, Steve

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by metweezer
http:///forum/post/2657685
Tiz,
I don't have the frozen cyclopeeze, I have the freeze dried. It's like powder. I'll try mixing that in a bowl of tank water. I hope it works. I'll keep you posted.
Tks, Steve
I kinda think the dried is useless. You can try pretty much anything meaty. Do you have anything in the way f frozen?? brine? Mysis? anything?
If not, you need to make a trip to the store.

If it's nouth doesn't open with the dried, then it does not recognize it as a food source, and you have to get a different food. If it does, then it will work til you can get something more meaty.